What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew? by Robert…

What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew? (edition 1995)

by Robert E. Wells

Explore the world of the VERY small.
Member:waldronfam
Title:What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
Authors:Robert E. Wells
Info:Albert Whitman & Company (1995), Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:2018 Inventory, Your library
Tags:children, non-fiction, science

What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew? (Wells of Knowledge Science Series) by Robert E. Wells

This book talks about the earth and the different things in it that are smaller than a pigmy shrew. It goes into detail about each thing such as a ladybug, a water droplet, and even an atom. It not only talks about each object but gives little facts and interesting text bubbles around the illustrations. This informative text is perfect to use as a read aloud to engage students. It can also be used as the beginning of a unit and help give context to an exploration that may be used for a science lesson. ( )
  abrianawedin | Nov 8, 2019 |
This book explores the tiny things that make up the universe by starting with a pygmy shrew, the smallest mammal, and going down to tiny bacteria, and eventually down to the quarks that make up the protons and neutrons of atoms! Not only does this help to foster realistic perspectives of how small things like molecules can be, it also opens up opportunity to talk about systems and parts. It can help students to think about how, like ecosystems, all living things have smaller parts with different functions. ( )
  LivCerna | Nov 8, 2019 |
This was a great book to introduce kids to the idea of microscopic organisms and particles. the book begins by comparing a pygmy shrew to things like mushrooms and elephants to give kids an idea of it's size. Then, it gradually compares things that are smaller and smaller until they are describing atoms and the protons, neutrons and electrons inside of an atom. I loved how this book gave students a sense of just how small these particles are. It makes it more approachable and understandable to children. ( )
  JasmineMcBride | Nov 5, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this particular science book because it was very funny and light spirited.. However it also depicted many animals that were very small. I felt like this book was the most successful science book I've read because it's style, tone, and content were perfect. The book started off talking about how small a shrew might feel when next to an elephant, the biggest mammal, to talking about atoms, electrons,neutrons. This is the first children's book that I've seen that talked about animals and they're sizes to chemistry and made it flow very well. I would definitely read this book to my future science class. ( )
  kristeen1995 | Apr 27, 2017 |
This was such a cute book! The author used a progressive layout to clearly teach comparisons of large animals all the way down to the smallest atom. I would use this book in the classroom to teach key vocabulary "greater and smaller" to my first grade students. The illustrations in this book were very well done as well. ( )
  magen.rauscher | Sep 17, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,502,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible