The Winter Thief: A Kamil Pasha Novel (Kamil…

The Winter Thief: A Kamil Pasha Novel (Kamil Pasha Novels) (edition 2010)

by Jenny White

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:The Winter Thief: A Kamil Pasha Novel (Kamil Pasha Novels)
Authors:Jenny White
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages

The Winter Thief by Jenny White

Set in 19th century Turkey during Ottoman empire's political unrest. My review in BL, rumors of rebellion, massacre, threats against Kamil's family. Good tension between self-preservation and ethical behavior fro several characters. Well-rounded characters realistic, compelling yet thoroughly depraved villain, good details lend immediacy and a good feel for exotic locale. Tense Atmosphere, good story. ( )
  jenzbaker | Jan 23, 2015 |
I very much enjoyed this book = the story is something to become immersed in, I like Kamil Pasha as a character, and I am learning something about 19th Century Turkey. ( )
  VictoriaJZ | Jan 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Winter Thief appears to be the third book about Istanbul's special prosecutor Kamil Pasha in the waning days of the Ottoman Empire. His investigation of arms smuggling and the bombing of the Imperial Ottoman Bank lead to his being framed for murder and accused of treason as he works to prevent a massacre of possible secessionists. I found the descriptions of the culture to be quite compelling and Kamil Pasha as a character to be quite interesting. I would not mind at all seeking out the first two Kamil Pasha novels or any that follow this one.
  JeanLN | Nov 11, 2010 |
At first it was all intrigue -- how intriguing! Then it just got bloodier and bloodier, and had about four endings, shades of "Lord of the Rings." ( )
  picardyrose | Oct 10, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is my first Kamil Pasha novel. There are two previous novels in the series, but The Winter Thief holds up as a standalone.

I was hesitant about requesting this novel, as my knowledge of the time period is limited, but I was completely absorbed by the end of the first chapter. It is suspenseful, complex, and punctuated with historic details. White's passion for the subject is evident in her fantastic writing.

Although classified as a mystery, I didn't feel compelled to plow through The Winter Thief just to satisfy my curiosity for how it ended. The story is not solely a mystery, but also a study of one man's struggle to come to terms with his own sense of morality in contrast to political justice.

It took me a while to finish, but The Winter Thief is an excellent novel. ( )
  insolent_redhead | May 7, 2010 |

A bank robbery and illegal weapons lead Kamil Pasha to uncover a plan to massacre an entire valley.

January 1888. Vera Arti carries The Communist Manifesto in Armenian through Istanbul’s streets, unaware of the men following her. When the police discover a shipload of guns and the Imperial Ottoman Bank is blown up, suspicion falls on a socialist commune Arti’s friends organized in the eastern mountains. Special Prosecutor Kamil Pasha is called in to investigate. He soon encounters his most ruthless adversary to date: Vahid, head of a special branch of the secret police, who has convinced the sultan that the commune is leading a secessionist movement and should be destroyed—along with surrounding villages. Kamil must stop the massacre, but he finds himself on the wrong side of the law, framed for murder and accused of treason, his family and the woman he loves threatened.

Exploring the dark obsessions of the most powerful and dangerous men of the dying Ottoman Empire, The Winter Thief also reflects the mad idealism of those turbulent times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Special Prosecutor Kamil Pasha encounters his most ruthless adversary to date: Vahid, head of a special branch of the secret police, who has convinced the sultan that a socialist commune is leading a secessionist movement and should be destroyed--along with surrounding villages. Kamil must stop the massacre, but he finds himself on the wrong side of the law, framed for murder and accused of treason.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny White's book The Winter Thief: A Kamil Pasha Novel was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393070174, 0393338843

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,149,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible