The Five-Minute Miracle: Discover the…

The Five-Minute Miracle: Discover the Personal Healing Symbols that Will…

by Tara Springett

2811591,119 (3)None
The basics of The Five-Minute Miracle came to Tara Springett, a psychotherapist, in meditation one day. The system is a pleasurable self-help method that is designed to overcome all sorts of psychological problems, as well as easing chronic pain and tiredness. The method only takes five minutes each day and is so simple that it can be used by anyone, anywhere, even by children. A synthesis of Tibetan Buddhist principles and humanistic psychology, the core of the practice is to make contact with our Higher Consciousness (in whatever form we perceive it) and receive a healing symbol to overcome our problems. This symbol will be visualized (or sensed) in our heart, radiating loving light to ourselves and to everyone who is involved in the problem. It's a system that can be used over and over again -- for a new problem, ask for a new symbol. This system, which the author calls Higher Consciousness Healing, has brought extremely impressive and reliable results -- within days or a few weeks of beginning the practice -- to hundreds of individuals and families. Now everyone can learn and practice these principles through this extraordinary and miraculous book.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to like this book. I was going to read it from cover to cover in one sitting, and be amazed, and change my life, and then write the most wondrous review. But, it didn't work out that way. It took three months of hard slog to get two thirds of the way into this book, and it's less than 150 pages. I just can't bring myself to read this bilge for any longer. It's like being counseled by a Care Bear!

The concept is simple enough. Use loosely adapted Tibetan Buddhist visualisation techniques to receive symbols from your higher consciousness that represent your problems. Then, work with these symbols as a way to work on and overcome your problems. Ok, I get it. Lots of meditative practices use similar visualisation techniques, and there's even some crossover here with the use of Sigils in magick. But, is it any great secret that changing the way you think or feel about your problems can help you to overcome them?

Her description of the process is muddy at best. Practically every page is punctuated with the repeated phrase "Higher Consciousness Healing," which is her patented miraculous unique formulation of a well known visualistation technique. And The 'Five-Minute Miracle' is actually four to six weeks of using this visualisation at least twice a day. None of this drives me quite so crazy as the fuzzy, cloying, saccharine, woo-woo that it's all wrapped up in:

"Susan was married to a man who was verbally abusive to her on a regular basis. I helped her receive a healing symbol from her higher consciousness and showed her how to send love to herself and to her husband by enveloping them both in bubbles of loving joyful light."

If phrases like that don't set alarm bells ringing or have you reaching for the sick bucket, then enjoy. This is your book of the year. For anyone else, save yourself the money, and consider learning any sort of meditative practice from the original source material instead. ( )
  graffiti.living | Oct 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’m sorry it took so long for me to look at this book. Tara Springett’s method can be practical and effective. For anyone just curious or looking for a way to improve mental attitude, this way of looking at life and reactions to it should result in unexpected and positive changes. The way we react can indeed hurt us. An inspiring and healing book if a little annoying in places. ( )
  xorscape | Apr 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a meditator myself, I was attracted to the idea of a short, powerful practice. I did find lots of little ideas that are interesting and applicable to life. And the author used plenty of examples from clients to illustrate her points. Yet, in the end, I didn't see the practice she suggests as something I would incorporate into my life. As another reviewer suggested, maybe this book is too simple for experienced practitioners and too much for beginners. Having said that, I do think it's a worthwhile read and potentially effective for many people. ( )
  namaste22 | Nov 18, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Too simplistic for those who already have experience meditating, too complicated for novices. If it came with guided meditation CD then it might be a four or five star book for beginners who like pop psych new age fodder. ( )
  DromJohn | Oct 1, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A unique guide for using meditation and imagery to resolve your issues. I'm a little skeptical about asking your "Higher Consciousness" for a healing symbol specific to the problem and then spending a few minutes meditating using the symbol to achieve immediate (I think there was mention of practicing for two weeks) results... however, there is a field of positive psychology that may relate to this method.

Not surprisingly, it has a New Agey feel and Springett, a long-time Tibetan Buddhish practitioner who has decades of counseling experience, claims that anyone can use this method to achieve miraculous results even without a therapist.

As she is the founder of Higher Consciousness Healing, I feel she should offer scientific research or basis to back up her claims of success and give more credence to the method. The only evidence she provides are case studies based on her friends, family, and therapy clients.

The slim book explains the use of symbols, the process of attaining a "miracle" healing, and practicing the method. Detailed and easy to follow. If you're a skeptic but nothing else seems to be working, why not try it out? ( )
  huyen | Apr 30, 2010 |
A lovely little book with some very interesting case histories. I am convinced that all dis-ease starts in the Mind so by using the Mind and raising your vibrations you can obtain the cure.
added by Arten60 | editLibrary Thing early review

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tara Springett's book The Five-Minute Miracle was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,902,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible