Marvel 1602: New World/Fantastick Four…

Marvel 1602: New World/Fantastick Four Premiere HC

by Greg Pak

34None327,195 (3.29)2

Absolutely amazing sequel to Marvel 1602 with the introduction of new characters. Brilliant innovation. Highly reco
Mended ( )
  aadyer | Apr 7, 2012 |
After rereading the first volume of Marvel 1602, I turned to the next volume which has the Fantastic Four, ptui, on the cover and a change of artists and writers. In fact, the first half of this trade takes up almost exactly where Gaiman’s series left off – mere days after that, so far as I can tell, though our younger characters seem to have aged seven or eight years (judging from Peter’s face and some, ahem, overhead shots of Ms. Dare). It’s more jokey and silly than Gaiman’s solemn run, but the transition is fairly smooth. I especially liked some of the ways these characters diverge from their present-day incarnations; the Hulk is a great example.

I turned to the second half with some trepidation; in fact, the Fantastic Four arc was readable, though not particularly riveting. I was hoping Dr. Doom would stomp around making megalomaniac speeches and being eeevil, but even he was toned down for once. I’m not sure why the Fantastic Four come out of retirement to pursue him on a fairly simple trip to a semi-mythical country where Doom hopes to restore his cover-boy looks. Yes, he will try to subjugate and corrupt wherever he goes, but they knew that before they retired, and this isn’t much more than an evil trip to the plastic surgeon.

The inclusion of Shakespeare in this arc was annoying. I don’t think writers should drag old Will, or any other historical figures, into their fictions if they don’t have anything to do with them besides crack some weak jokes. Compare Gaiman’s use of Shakespeare in the Sandman series; Gaiman uses the bard’s familiar face and stories to talk about dreams, art, fathers and sons, and renunciation. These themes are central to Sandman. Here, Shakespeare is used for lame comic relief, 'getting his ideas' from travelling around with the Fantastick Four. Groan. ( )
  Cynara | Jun 14, 2011 |

Return to the world of 1602! First, Greg Pak and Greg Tocchini pick up where the bestselling story by Neil Gaiman left off: America, the New World! When Captain America was thrust back in time, it changed reality as we know it. Dinosaurs still roam the earth, and the Marvel heroes we know came to exist 500 years early. Now, witness David Bruce Banner and Peter Parquagh become the Hulk and Spider-Man! Then, Peter David and Pascal Alixe take the reins as Doom returns! The Four from the Fantastik's greatest enemy has an insidious plan that takes them to the ends of the Earth! What does he want? Why doesn't Invisible Woman want to fight him? And what does Shakespeare have to do with it? Collects Marvel 1602: New World #1-5, and Marvel 1602: Fantastick Four #1-5.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:45 -0400)

Sir Nicholas Fury and the Witchbreed are gone, but there are still many strange people appearing in England and the New World, such as a young man with spider-like qualities and a rampaging giant, prompting King James of England to take drastic measures. Meanwhile, Otto Von Doom of Latveria mounts an expedition to the ends of the Earth, with Natasha Romanova and a kidnapped English playwright along for the ride and the Fantastick Four hot on their trail.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible