The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, Book 7)…

The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, Book 7) (Artemis Fowl, 7) (original 2010; edition 2019)

by Eoin Colfer (Author)

Series: Artemis Fowl (7)

An army of fairy space probes have returned to Earth reprogrammed to destroy Atlantis and only Artemis Fowl can stop them. As he races to save the subaquatic city, he must also combat an onslaught of obsessive compulsive and delusional disorders, both byproducts of prodigious intellect and immense stress.… (more)
Member:jessicadobson418
Title:The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, Book 7) (Artemis Fowl, 7)
Authors:Eoin Colfer (Author)
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2019), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

Work Information

The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer (2010)

Recently added byolvangels, 12mchristian, leviandnoelle, Nannus, BernardK94, marisajames, private library, KillerSpork117
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (66)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (68)
This is one of the weakest book in the series. I was interested in how Artemis would handle his Atlantis complex but in the end it just... went away?

Also the part with Root and his wife bugged me. If he forced her to stay with him, then show the consequences of that. If she loved him enough even though he's a dirtbag then show that. Don't try to combine those 2 things. It's weird and it teaches a sucky message. And normally I'm not the kind of person who thinks that books for children/teenagers have to have a message. Kids can handle gray areas and mortally dubious characters perfectly fine. But the way the relationship between Root and his wife was handled left a bad taste.

What I did enjoy was Artemis and Orion. That's why I'm so disappointed that that didn't go anywhere. In all honesty I could have missed it because I listened to this mainly when I was stressed, and at those times my attention span and work memory are horrendous.

Still. It was a weird read. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Very enjoyable read though it's very different in tone from its predecessors. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
Best thing about the Artemis Fowl series? Artemis Fowl.

Missing through a large chunk of The Atlantis Complex? Artemis Fowl.

Don't get me wrong. Physically, he's still present and account for. Mentally? Apparently, his genius has led to something of a psychological disorder (the eponymous Atlantis Complex) wherein Fowl spends one large chunk of the book obsessed with the numbers four and five and another as a new, separate personality: Orion Fowl.

On top of that, the plot was somewhat lackluster. The (new) villain plans a great escape, but he's no Koboi and certainly no Artemis. On top of that, there's really nothing in the way of plot twists and cunning schemes that really made the previous books worth reading.

Finally, a romance subplot between Artemis and Holly? Really? Other than circumstance, what do they have in common at all? It's just weird.

If the next book weren't the last, I'm honestly not sure that I would finish the series. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
middlegrade/teen fantasy/adventure fiction (on audio)
This one was ok--the parts with Turnbuckle's henchmen got tiresome (lots of drooly dunce voices), and there wasn't a whole lot happening plotwise, but there were still lots of funny parts. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
*updated to note that I liked it, but not enough to mess up my pretty matched set by buying it.*

Dear Hyperion,

I am so grumpy about the new covers not matching my old ones that I totally did not buy this when I was at Tattered Cover today. GRRRR. I'll have to go put myself on the library's hold list now and wait til after I read it to decide if its worth mucking about with my pretty matched books. If I really love it, well, maybe I'll wait and get it in paperback to create a deliberate difference that would feel slightly more acceptable. Or I may get over my fit of pique and buy the hardcover later this month. Either way, I AM DISPLEASED. Also a touch OCD about how my books look on the shelves.

No love,

Me ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
I suspect that the central joke worked better in synopsis than it plays out in the novel. Orion is funny but I'm not sure that he is funny enough for the trade-off – which requires filling the hole left by Artemis's absence on sick leave. True, it means that other characters, in particular the splendidly feisty Holly Short, are pushed to the fore. On the other hand, Orion is a buffoon, and while you may laugh, you may also, like Holly, feel like hitting him and fervently wish that the real Arty would hurry back.

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Ciaran, who will hear many rugby stories.
Vatnajokull is the biggest glacier in Europe with an area of more than five thousand stark blue-white miles.
Angeline Fowl to Artemis: You're a fifteen year old in a bespoke suit and nobody died.
Angeline Fowl: Now, I know you don't really do casual.
Artemis Fowl: That's hardly fair. Last month at that cake sale I rolled up both sleeves.

ARTEMIS FOWL HAS LOST HIS MIND…JUST WHEN THE WORLD NEEDS HIM MOST

Artemis has committed his entire fortune to a project he believes will save the planet and its inhabitants, both human and fairy. Can it be true? Has goodness taken hold of the world’s greatest teenage criminal mastermind?

Captain Holly Short is unconvinced, and discovers that Artemis is suffering from Atlantis Complex, a psychosis common among guilt-ridden fairies—not humans—and most likely triggered by Artemis’s dabbling with fairy magic. Symptoms include obsessive-compulsive behavior, paranoia, multiple personality disorder and, in extreme cases, embarrassing professions of love to a certain feisty LEPrecon fairy.

Unfortunately, Atlantis Complex has struck at the worst possible time. A deadly foe from Holly’s past is intent on destroying the actual city of Atlantis. Can Artemis escape the confines of his mind—and the grips of a giant squid—in time to save the underwater metropolis and its fairy inhabitants?

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,116,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible