Hook and Jill

by Andrea Jones

Wendy Darling learns. What appears to be good may prove otherwise, and what seems to be evil....is irresistible. In this startling new vision of a cultural classic, Wendy intends to live happily ever after with Peter Pan. But Time, like this tale, behaves in a most unsettling way. As Wendy mothers the Lost Boys in Neverland, they thrive on adventure. She struggles to keep her boys safe from the Island's many hazards, but she finds a more subtle threat encroaching from an unexpected quarter... The children are growing up, and only Peter knows the punishment. Yet in the inky edges of the Island, the tales Wendy tells to the Lost Boys come true. Captain Hook is real, and even the Wonderful Boy can't defend his Wendy against this menace. Hook is a master manipulator, devising vengeance for his maiming. Insidious and seductive, Hook has his reasons for tempting Wendy to grow up. Revenge is only the first. Deepening the characters so artfully sketched by J.M. Barrie, Hook & Jill reveals the dark side of innocence at which Barrie hinted in the figure of Peter Pan. It brings alive a daring Wendy who asks questions and seeks truth; it delves into the man, Hook, the iconic villain. Striding from fairy-tale and thrusting into reality, Captain Hook becomes a frightening force indeed.… (more)

I loved this book. The combination of adventure, growing up and into one's own life and sexuality, and the connection between Wendy's stories and the existence of both Hook and Peter, all touched me in a very deep and personal place. I don't know if others will rate it as highly as I did because of how personal it was, but I can also say that the writing was excellent, the characters interesting, and the place was both recognizably Neverland *and* a place that was newly changing.

The core of the story is how Wendy Darling -- mother to the Lost Boys and frustrated not-quite-consort of ever-young Peter Pan -- grows up, faces the dangers of her world, and chooses who she wants to become. She remains true to her role of mother as she protects the boys from Peter's dangerous side, and works ceaselessly to help them grow into the next phase of their lives. She struggles with her own feelings about Pan and Hook, and eventually chooses the one who loves and affirms the truest part of her emerging self.

I would recommend this book to those who like modern, somewhat darker updates to classic fairy stories, and those who are interested in stories of growing up, making choices, and moving beyond boundaries. And of course: those who like pirate stories.

There is definitely sensuality in the book, some of it with a darker undertone, but it never goes over the line into explicitness, if that's a concern for some. ( )
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |
I was dubious at first because I was worried pairing Hook with Wendy would ruin my childhood. But this book was very well written, the characters were good, and the story was believable for the time I was in it. Also, I loved the way it ended. Absolutely loved it. I'm so excited to read the rest of the trilogy! ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
I picked this book up on a whim at a library conference and - much to my surprise - found myself talking to the author there at the conference and ended up thoroughly enjoying it. The cover art does not do this book justice, so just ignore the cover. The characters of Wendy and Peter are given much more depth and even the Lost Boys gain a hefty dose of personality. Also, the author's description of Never Never Land brings it to life with such detail you can almost see the terrain laid out in your mind like a carefully drawn map. Highly recommended if you're looking for something fun to read.Warning: this is basically fan fiction, using the 2003 film Peter Pan as inspiration. ( )
  esquetee | Nov 22, 2011 |
I got this about a week after reading the original Peter Pan, I was on a Peter Pan kick and Hook has always been a favorite character. This book had all sorts of elements that should have made it great.

And it started out great. It was a great look into the mind of a girl growing up and coming to terms with what all that means. I loved that aspect. But two things truly drew it back. First was the author's changing of names towards the end (Wendy to Jill, Tinkerbell to Jewel, etc) which gave the thing the feel of a fanfic in a bad way. That would be forgivable and left the book at a 4 star rating but the ending was... terrible. Well, not the exact end, the last chapter works well, just how all the ends (Peter, the Lost Boys, Tinkerbell) get tied together really didn't fit in with the rest of the story. It felt like the author couldn't commit with the ending she had been setting up for and which I was looking forward to.

If you're looking for a coming of age book or a light romance that involves Peter Pan I can recommend borrowing it but I wouldn't buy it until you read it through to see if you like it. ( )
  allroadshome | Apr 26, 2011 |
This is one of the best books we have read in a long while. Andrea Jones is a excellent author not only in her writing but also in person. We personally have sold over 60 copies of Hook & Jill and it remains the top seller in our store 5 months and running. If you are looking for an excellent read this is for you, but beware this is not your average run of the mill fiction book. Jones has woven a tale to rival those of the literature world. We tell people who look at the book to read the first page and if you have to turn the page you should read the entire book. We haven't had anyone turn it down yet after reading that first page. We hope you enjoy it as much as we have. ( )
  cheme2005 | May 6, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,128,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible