For the Win by Cory Doctorow

For the Win

by Cory Doctorow

Recently added bySpoto-Media, ErinDarby, akaGingerK, elliottdunstan, dclay, private library, Rvn6dlr, alo1224
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (kjforrest)
    kjforrest: Both books cover gaming, gold farming and economics in an interesting way. For The Win is much shorter and a better read, but Reamde is good too.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (simon_carr)
    The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (weener)
    weener: For the Win is kind of like a modern-day version of the Jungle: a heavy-handed, painful, yet readable book about labor rights.

English (61)  French (2)  All languages (63)
Read this instead of [b:Little Brother|954674|Little Brother|Cory Doctorow|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1289934046s/954674.jpg|939584]. For The Win is full of interesting, engaging characters who will win (and then break) your heart. And I came away with a better understanding of global economic theory than my high school econ class even dreamed of imparting.

If I didn't think she'd track me down, I would totally have stolen my sister's copy. As it is, I need to buy my own copy, woe. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
I've read several of Cory Doctorow's books and really enjoyed them, so when I heard that he had a book about gaming and gold farming, I was intrigued. I finally had a chance to read the book over the past few weeks, and while it was overall a fascinating story, it just didn't hold my interest the way most of Doctorow's stories do.

There were intermittent explanations of various points of economics and unions interjected throughout the story, but these often took the form of asides (presumably from the author and not a character) rather than being told within the context of the story. While informative, I often felt like these detracted from the flow of the story, and I really just wanted to get back to the action of the plot. There are also a LOT of characters and locations in this book, which can get confusing at times.

Having little knowledge of economics or unions (save what living in Wisconsin has taught me!), it seemed that much of what Doctorow has crafted is sound and plausible. I get the impression that huge amounts of both research and interest went into this book, and I loved that about it. I also loved the different MMOs the characters were playing - Mushroom Kingdom cracked me up quite frequently.

I'm hoping to re-read this book someday, and I'm suspecting there's a chance I'll like it better on a second run through. ( )
  Caltania | Apr 26, 2018 |
Nope, sorry. I’m tired of reading books that want to spend a load of time preaching to me. It’s not that the issues you’re talking about are unimportant. It’s that I can hear enough about greedy corporations and the global economy in the news without my “fun” time turning into a lecture about how we need to be more proactive in standing up for our rights and equality. I don’t mind books that make you think but egats, who wants a book to talk down to them.

I DNF’d this at about 10%. There was a bit in the beginning where I thought, “hey, this may be good!” Sneaky author, luring me in with an Alice in Wonderland themed MMORPG. I’d be a sucker for that game. But this book isn’t about video games, don’t be fooled. It’s about Injustice.

I suffered through 7 hours of Cory Doctorow in Little Brother monologuing about government corruption and the naive weakness of adults to do the right thing. I’m all set with this author. There’s a difference between sticking my head in the sand and trying to actually ENJOY a book.
  Morteana | Oct 14, 2017 |
Kudos to Cory Doctorow for making a cast of gold farmers sympathetic. It should not be possible, and I loved them dearly, and it was incredible. Also lots of nostalgia for this ex-hardcore gamer.

This book is an excellent update of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle, imo, and if you're not faint of stomach, I recommend reading The Jungle first. Four stars instead of five because the ending makes about as little sense as The Jungle's. But it was well worth the ride, and I still recommend it. ( )
  LaRiccia | Mar 18, 2017 |
Cory Doctorow sets a high bar for 'best of 2014' with the brilliant' For the Win'. The iconic 'Wobbles' are reincarnated for a new century and a new industry as the downtrodden gold miners and labourers of the on-line gaming digital workplace form the 'International Workers of the World Wide Web' (the Webblies) to fight a decent living wage, battling the robber barons of cyberspace and their digital Pinkertons. A much needed parable for 21st Century as the 0.1% continue to rape and pillage more than their fare share of the world's resources. And it is available as a free download on the internet! http://craphound.com/ftw/download/
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Once again Doctorow has taken denigrated youth behavior (this time, gaming) and recast it into something heroic.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

For Poesy:

Live as though it were the early days of a better nation.
In the game, Matthew's characters killed monsters, as they did every single night. But tonight, as Matthew thoughtfully chopsticked a dumpling out of a styrofoam clamshell, dipped it in the red hot sauce and popped it into his mouth, his little squadron did something extraordinary: they began to win.

A group of teens from around the world find themselves drawn into an online revolution arranged by a mysterious young woman known as Big Sister Nor, who hopes to challenge the status quo and change the world using her virtual connections.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,556,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible