dismiss

FOR THE WIN by Cory Doctorow

FOR THE WIN (edition 2010)

by Cory Doctorow

A group of teens from around the world find themselves drawn into an online revolution arranged by a mysterious young woman known as Big Sister Nor, who hopes to challenge the status quo and change the world using her virtual connections.
Member:dennymeta
Title:FOR THE WIN
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Info:TOR (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages

For the Win by Cory Doctorow (Author)

Recently added byMatt01123, private library, brandonlee, A.D.Guzman, MsKalita, aarongable, robnbrwn, defenestratedpigeon, scottyn73
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (kjforrest)
    kjforrest: Both books cover gaming, gold farming and economics in an interesting way. For The Win is much shorter and a better read, but Reamde is good too.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (simon_carr)
    The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (weener)
    weener: For the Win is kind of like a modern-day version of the Jungle: a heavy-handed, painful, yet readable book about labor rights.

English (64)  French (2)  All languages (66)
somewhat uneven, but imaginative and elaborate. And educational, as usual per Cory Doctorow. ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
One of those books I really wish I'd written! Clever and very smoothly done. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
Rounded up from 3.5. I enjoyed the writing style, found the book engaging and interesting most of the time but, ultimately, I am gamer adjacent at best so that didn't draw me in. Other aspects of the plot did, but if I happened to put the down in the middle of a game play section I had trouble picking it back up again. That's my fault, though, not Doctorow's. In fact, the level of my interest in the book is a credit to Doctorow!

There were a few spots where there was just a massive information dump and those felt a little awkward - understandable since the economics had to be explained but one or two longest sections were noticeably long (the others fit in well, I think). ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Nov 12, 2019 |
This one had been sitting on my kindle for a while. The dedications to booksellers, large and small, brick and mortar and online - were a little depressing considering their decline since 2008. I liked the story bouncing around the world with the stories of sweatshop workers and others. The child upon child violence was particularly upsetting and the nerd ex machina at the end didn't quite gel. Overall it was engaging and exciting - what more could I want? ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Read this instead of [b:Little Brother|954674|Little Brother|Cory Doctorow|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1289934046s/954674.jpg|939584]. For The Win is full of interesting, engaging characters who will win (and then break) your heart. And I came away with a better understanding of global economic theory than my high school econ class even dreamed of imparting.

If I didn't think she'd track me down, I would totally have stolen my sister's copy. As it is, I need to buy my own copy, woe. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Once again Doctorow has taken denigrated youth behavior (this time, gaming) and recast it into something heroic.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

For Poesy:

Live as though it were the early days of a better nation.
In the game, Matthew's characters killed monsters, as they did every single night. But tonight, as Matthew thoughtfully chopsticked a dumpling out of a styrofoam clamshell, dipped it in the red hot sauce and popped it into his mouth, his little squadron did something extraordinary: they began to win.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,626,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible