Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

Man's Search for Meaning (original 1946; edition 2000)

by Viktor E. Frankl (Author), Gordon W. Allport (Preface)

Member:Samuel.Sotillo
Title:Man's Search for Meaning
Authors:Viktor E. Frankl (Author)
Other authors:Gordon W. Allport (Preface)
Info:Beacon Press (2000), Edition: 4th, 196 pages
Collections:Your library, EBooks
Tags:Ebooks, Semiology, Linguistics, German Writer, German Nonfiction, Nonfiction

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (1946)

Recently added bymerrells, ncokie41, private library, camillejusi, HSGLibrary, Duir, Gareth.Morgan, DanDiercks
Legacy LibrariesAnne Sexton, JeffBuckley, Danilo Kiš

English (160)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (170)
Victor Fraqnkl is a pshychiatrist who was incarcerated in several Nazi concentration camps during World War II. The first part of this book is a description of several experiences in those camps and how various individuals, including himself, dealt with the horrors of the concentration camp. His “Logotherapy” is fully explained in the book. Frankl basic philosophy states that a captor can strip an individual of just about everything, but not his freedom to respond to what he is experiencing. And therein lies the key to survival. This is a gross oversimplification of his tenets, but it marks the basic belief that allowed him and others to survive to the liberation of the camps after four years. The book is not casual reading, but it provides an academic look at Frankl’s well respected work in the field of psychology. ( )
  DanDiercks | Dec 14, 2018 |
Very impressive book about despair and overcoming horrifying situations. ( )
  nielsbom | Dec 9, 2018 |
a very famous book. michael enright talked about it on his sunday show. ( )
  mahallett | Nov 29, 2018 |
This was very thought-provoking and is making me think very hard about the meaning in my life. Victor E. Frankl's story of survival is gripping and heartbreaking, but he takes pains to show the hope and determination to survive the concentration camps that was both within and all around him. Man's Search for Meaning is split into three parts: a memoir of his time within not one, but FOUR concentration camps; an introduction to logotherapy, the school of thought he developed through his experiences of WWII; and a section on "tragic optimism", or the method in which that one is, and remains, optimistic in spite of the “tragic triad,” or (1) pain; (2) guilt; and (3) death.
On a whole, I think that Frankl's school of thought is one that I'll attempt to integrate into my life (I found Frankl's thoughts on happiness, in particular, to be enlightening). But as with all schools of philosophy and psychology, I spent a lot of time in the second and third sections of the book feeling as if Frankl was trying to sell his teachings as the be-all, end-all of life's problems. Frankl presents a significant amount of anecdotal evidence from his cases that show his school of thought bringing simple solutions with immediate and long-lasting effects to patients who have serious anxiety and phobias. As a long-time anxiety sufferer and recreational cynic, this was setting off some serious "bullsh*t" alarms in my mind.
But despite an occasional urge to dismiss everything out of hand from that sort of upselling, I found that as much as Frankl tries to "sell" the reader logotherapy, he remains grounded and practical in the practice of his teachings. He doesn't demand that his students of logotherapy parrot his philosophy mindlessly, but to use his teachings to creatively problem-solve with their patients. His dedication to humanistic psychology is praise-worthy and deeply humanitarian. His philosophy is at once grounded in modern thought and dedicated to the higher aspirations of man. Frankl is a perfect antidote to the pervasive nihilism of modern society, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an introduction to practical life philosophy.

(GoodReads review, posted on December 31, 2017) ( )
  msemmag | Nov 14, 2018 |
Not sure I'm sold on his philosophy / psychological theory of Logotherapy. However, the first half of his book, his account of life in concentration camps, is a piece of stunning clarity and interest. The second part, which is about the development and practice of logotherapy was a little less interesting but has some gems in there too! ( )
  jvgravy | Oct 5, 2018 |

Viktor E. Franklprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kushner, Harold S.Forewordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lasch, IlseTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winslade, William J.Afterwordmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Allport, Gordon WPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Šuvajevs, IgorsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother
This book does not claim to be an account of facts and events but of personal experiences, experiences which millions of prisoners have suffered time and again.
He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How
Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power, as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning.
Man's inner strangth may raise him about his outward fate
Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you.
Life is meaningful and that we must learn to see life as meaningful despite our circumstances.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080701429X, Mass Market Paperback)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is among the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud. The book begins with a lengthy, austere, and deeply moving personal essay about Frankl's imprisonment in Auschwitz and other concentration camps for five years, and his struggle during this time to find reasons to live. The second part of the book, called "Logotherapy in a Nutshell," describes the psychotherapeutic method that Frankl pioneered as a result of his experiences in the concentration camps. Freud believed that sexual instincts and urges were the driving force of humanity's life; Frankl, by contrast, believes that man's deepest desire is to search for meaning and purpose. Frankl's logotherapy, therefore, is much more compatible with Western religions than Freudian psychotherapy. This is a fascinating, sophisticated, and very human book. At times, Frankl's personal and professional discourses merge into a style of tremendous power. "Our generation is realistic, for we have come to know man as he really is," Frankl writes. "After all, man is that being who invented the gas chambers of Auschwitz; however, he is also that being who entered those gas chambers upright, with the Lord's Prayer or the Shema Yisrael on his lips."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Psychiatrist Viktor Frankl's memoir has riveted generations of readers with its descriptions of life in Nazi death camps and its lessons for spiritual survival. Based on his own experience and the stories of his patients, Frankl argues that we cannot avoid suffering but we can choose how to cope with it, find meaning in it, and move forward. At the heart of his theory, known as logotherapy, is a conviction that the primary human drive is not pleasure but the pursuit of what we find meaningful. Man's Search for Meaning has become one of the most influential books in America; it continues to inspire us all to find significance in the very act of living. Book jacket.… (more)

Beacon Press

3 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 080701429X, 0807014265, 0807014273

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,869,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible