The Transition of Titus Crow (1975)

by Brian Lumley, 1937-

Series: Titus Crow (2)

THE TRANSITION OF TITUS CROW: Continues the exploits of Titus Crow, chronicled in the Burrowers Beneath (-30-6). "Transition" is second in Lumley's "Cthulhu Mythos" series: five novels originally published in paperback in the seventies, plus the concluding novel. Elysia: the coming of Cthulhu. (HC, - 33-0)** When this project is completed, all six will be available in first edition hard covers. (See THE COMPLEAT CROW (HC, - 22-5)** for associated shorter fiction). Employing some of the characters & locales invented by H. P. Lovecraft, Lumley creates horror-fantasy & adventure stories (with science-fiction overtones), as humans seek the Elder Gods & dare to battle the maligned "Old Ones." These powerful entitites from another universe were imprisoned by the mysterious Elder Gods after a titanic battle aeons ago. But their leader, Great Cthulhu, plots not only to escape but to destroy earth & ravage Elysia, mysterious & hidden place where dwell the Elder Gods. And some have escaped already. Occultists Titus Crow, de Marigny. & others attempt to forestall them if possible. (**Also available in trade paper. Check the author's listing for similar books.)… (more)

This was really just one long romp through space and time. Unfortunately there was really only one character through most of it so almost no dialogue or characterization. Some cool ideas and scenes, but really not my favorite kind of story. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 1, 2020 |
A pitiful investigator of eldritch horror returns for a sequel in which he gains a TARDIS, fights pterosaurs, is rebuilt as a cyborg, lasers a god, befriends dragons, and . . .

I have the weirdest literary boner right now.

I once played in a Call of Cthulhu game at a local gaming store. We had three players and the Schmuck. We wanted to get rid of the Schmuck so badly, we hatched an insane plan. Knowing that the Schmuck was a Lovecraftian purist, we went crazy for one game. By the end of it, we were feeding a magic wand (given to us by Sailor Moon) Twinkies to make it turn into a Star Wars ship to escape the outer god Azathoth. The Schmuck left during the argument over whether a Y-Wing or an X-Wing has a better hyperdrive. We promptly restarted the game the moment he left the store and pretended that never happened.

This book is what would've happened if we continued that game up to eleven.

Titus Crow was a poor, poor protagonist. In The Burrowers Beneath, he mostly eats chicken lunches and is begged by monsters to leave them alone. In this book, we learn how his subsequent adventures becomes the stuff of crazed middle school fanfic.

If you want to watch someone take the ever-loving piss out of the Cthulhu Mythos, go ahead. I had a spectacular time. Then again, I love bizarre bad movies, having owned 80 DVDs off of http://badmovies.org I love media that is, to quote Roger Ebert, "cheerfully berserk."

Seriously, look at that first sentence up there. By the end of that statement, you should know if you want to read this or not.

There's two sequels. I can't wait. ( )
  K.t.Katzmann | May 9, 2016 |
Lumley does not copy HPL, but adds to that author's pantheon[..]

Lumley, Brian, 1937-Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, Michael, 1950-Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,615,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible