Rattlesnake Crossing by J. A. Jance

Rattlesnake Crossing

by J. A. Jance

Sheriff Joanna Brady investigates the murder of a local gun dealer and the theft of his stock of high-powered weapons, with an embittered rancher as the prime suspect.

great series. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
great series. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
Two cattle and a well pump shot by a sniper, shortly followed up with a report of a missing woman soon spirals into the discovery of gruesome murders; more than the department has ever handled at one time. And based on some insight from an FBI profiler, it sounds like Sheriff Joanna Brady and her department needs to work fast to prevent the death count from going even higher in a hurry.

I’ve been reading the books in this series back-to-back and one thing I’ve found necessary is to keep a box of tissues handy. Sometimes because of something happy and other times sadness. And this one is no exception when it comes to things going on in her personal life.

With each book we get more insight into the secondary characters and at this point I couldn’t imagine these stories without them as they’ve become just as important to the series as the main character, all with enough sides to them that they feel like real people. And we see growth in Joanna, both in her personal life and healing from Andy’s death, as well as in her job. She’s definitely not perfect and does make an occasional mistake, but has a good head on her shoulders and compassion in her heart and more often than not weighs the consequences before opening her mouth or making a decision.

The mystery angle takes the investigation in a number of directions, although I have to say it was easy to guess the culprit once hearing the profiler’s report. Action, drama, humor, mystery, tension, politics and heartache are all found in this story with (mostly) likeable characters.

One thing I’ve found interesting is that this part of the country, the way they live and what’s normal to them is drastically different than what is normal for someone living far away from a ranch and canyons and in a more populated area. It’s been a learning experience and expanded my understanding of why attitudes on a number of issues can be so different.

This is the 6th book in the series and I’ve read all six books in less than 1-1/2 weeks. If that doesn’t tell you how good these books are, I don’t know what else could. ( )
  dearheart | Apr 24, 2014 |
"Rattlesnake Crossing" is the 6th of 14 books in the Joanna Brady series about Sheriff Joanna of Bisbee, AZ. This is my first J.A. Jance and its appeal was the Arizona background. While the book has a fair amount of violence, and a little bit of sex, both have a bit of a sterile feel. Jance avoids detailing the shock and emotion -it's as though I was reading a movie script and as he took her hand and led her to the bedroom....(FADE TO BLACK). Certainly that works for sex scenes for a lot of people, but when someone is shot in the head in a very close environment the survivors are not going to be in a state to calm themselves quickly much less make a phone call for some time. So there are a lot of dead bodies, the mystery is fairly interesting, the relationship between the Sheriff and the BF leaves me flat (I think he's too wimpy, too nice a guy), and I'm not really crazy about our heroine. I note that this series started in the 90's and for a long time there was a book just about every year but recently they've been coming out every 2-4 years; I take that as a possible indication of waning interest by the author. Yes, I know there is another Jance series. That all being said, I might wind up reading another one or two, just to soak in the environment of the Southeast AZ desert on occasion. But it'll be a while before I read the next one. ( )
  maneekuhi | May 7, 2013 |
Sheriff Brady has a serial killer on her hands and in her county. She is racing the clock to solve this one before they kill again.
I spotted the culprit as soon as it was introduced, so not much mystery in this story for me. The characters still go a long way to carry the tale though. I still worry about Joanna Brady, she is beginning to seem self-absorbed. I also missed the author focusing on some of the minor characters, which she has done so well before. Not my favorite, but still a quick and captivating read. ( )
  MrsLee | Feb 26, 2011 |
For Richard Guerra,
whose encouragement fanned a tiny spark.
(Prologue) High on a cliff, the shooter panned the nightscope back and forth across the San Pedro Valley.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,106,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible