100 Photos That Changed Canada

by Mark Reid, Mark Reid

Other authors: Charlotte Gray (Foreword)

From the Last Spike to Pierre Trudeau, from Vimy Ridge to Terry Fox, from Bob and Doug McKenzie to Ben Johnson, from Sir John A. Macdonald to Kim Campbell-- these subjects come to life in 100 images that touch us, unsettle us, or make us proud to be Canadian. Over 30 writers enrich the photos with in-depth commentary, creating a complex tapestry of experience that is nostalgic, entertaining, sometimes shocking, but always memorable. A book full of reminiscences, a book to browse through and share, this beautifully designed gallery of images offers a fascinating, often personal, perspective on great moments from our history. With introductory comments by Charlotte Gray, Deborah Morrison and Mark Reid, and noted contributors from across Canada, this will be the gift book of the fall. Contributors include Christie Blatchford, Michael Bliss, Tim Cook, Peter Desbarats, Will Ferguson, J.L. Granatstein, Rudyard Griffiths, Tina Loo, Peter Mansbridge, Ken McGoogan, Christopher Moore, Desmond Morton, Don Newman, Jacques Poitras, Dick Pound and Winona Wheeler… (more)

As a teacher of Canadian history and teacher-librarian, I appreciate this book very much. Almost every photo essay is of a key event that we touch on in class.

My only complaint is that the editorial selections reflect that peculiar - and dare I suggest, unique - pathological Canadian need to criticize ourselves. Almost every photo essay has a negative element to it, and many shine a very uncomplimentary light on our society. Yes, we were a racist people; yes, as a nation we made many mistakes. What country did not? I would like to know if any other nation beats itself up in print the way we do. If so, please show me where else this is true. If only the editor had chosen a few positive narratives this work would have a better balance.

Other than the negative and overly politically correct tone, the book is well-written and beautifully laid out. A welcome addition to my secondary school library. ( )
  bogmommy | Dec 31, 2009 |
What a treat to read this book. It is a visually stunning collection of 100 photographs, accompanied by 100 short essays by Canadian historians, politicians, journalists and academics. Through the photographs and text, we get a history of Canada's past and present and a glimpse into the future.

The fact that Canada's story can be told so well by a collection of photographs and multiple voices is, I believe, a testament to the strength that diversity brings to this great country. ( )
  LynnB | Nov 18, 2009 |

Mark Reidprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reid, Markmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, CharlotteForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,898,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible