Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields: Discovering America's Hallowed…

by Jeff Shaara

275582,602 (4)3
TRAVEL THROUGH A PIVOTAL TIME IN AMERICAN HISTORY Jeff Shaara, America's premier Civil War novelist, gives a remarkable guided tour of the ten Civil War battlefields every American should visit: Shiloh, Antietam, Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, New Market, Chickamauga, the Wilderness/Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg/Appomattox. Shaara explores the history, the people, and the places that capture the true meaning and magnitude of the conflict and provides * engaging narratives of the war's crucial battles * intriguing historical footnotes about each site * photographs of the locations-then and now * detailed maps of the battle scenes * fascinating sidebars with related points of interest From Antietam to Gettysburg to Vicksburg, and to the many poignant destinations in between, Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields is the ideal guide for casual tourists and Civil War enthusiasts alike.… (more)

Excellent book. It gives a lot of insight into what you should do when you visit the battlefields. This is definitely a book I will take with me when I visit Gettysburg and some of the other battlefields on my list. ( )
  BelindaS7 | Apr 14, 2020 |
This was a really well-written handbook to major Civil War battlefields to visit.  The format of the chapters were well-organized.  Shaara explained the major events at each battlefield, how that battle affected the Civil War as a whole, and what sights to see at each place.  It was obvious that Shaara was using research as well as personal experience for each site.  Even though I was listening to the audioversion and not the text copy (which I probably would have enjoyed more), the descriptions were enough to hold my interest. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Great book. My wife and I have visited more than half of these places in the last few years.
The author is correct to praise the national park service, who are amazingly well informed;
all of the sites they oversee are free and they are worth seeing. Secondly, we noted that he is generally accurate about these places, not just their meaning but what to look for at the place, This is a wonderful book, which we will take with us on out travelw. ( )
  annbury | Mar 8, 2016 |
A superb brief description of several Civil War battlefields, their importance and guide to visiting them. Shaara continues the high standards of his many works on the Civil War and this is a must read for those who plan to visit any or all of these locations, either as interested tourists or as students of what happened at these locations. Shaara has also editorialized more than in his previous works. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Sep 17, 2014 |
Another good reference book, if you're into civil war battlefields. It provides a history of each battle, it's significance and how you might want to see the battlefield today. Recommend the book for those who want a survey of several battlefields...read before you go. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 27, 2014 |
In the summer of 1964, a twelve-year-old boy followed his father across a mile of open grassy fields that separated the Union and Confederate lines at Gettysburg.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,021,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible