The Carrie Diaries (2010)

by Candace Bushnell

Series: Carrie Diaries (1)

Romance. Young Adult Fiction. HTML:

The Carrie Diaries is the coming-of-age story of one of the most iconic characters of our generation.

Before Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was a small-town girl who knew she wanted more. She's ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school. Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend's betrayal makes her question everything.

With an unforgettable cast of characters, The Carrie Diaries is the story of how a regular girl learns to think for herself and evolves into a sharp, insightful writer. Readers will learn about her family background, how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. Through adventures both audacious and poignant, we'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where her new life begins.

… (more)
Florida (154)

English (53)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
I wasn't too into it until the end, now I really want to read the next one :) ( )
  jskeltz | Nov 23, 2023 |
This book was perfect for those who love books set in high school and books with very strong characters.

Carrie's experience writing for the school newspaper was quite amusing. I loved that the teacher thought she was going to be just another senior needing something on their college applications,

The eighties setting was a lot of fun. Their college application process was so different and I was highly entertained by the way Carrie ended up spending a lot of time waiting by the landline for boys to call.

I'd read this before but could barely remember it; as such, it was a lot of fun to read again. Definitely recommend for lovers of chick fic.
  whakaora | Mar 5, 2023 |
Very standard YA. I might even have liked it more had the main character NOT been Carrie Bradshaw, because I do not like her as an adult. I've seen my fair share of Sex and the City, of course, but Carrie is my least fave character on the show and her "column" and what we see of it is incredibly stupid. I've always had a hard time believing anyone would want to read that.

Now we get to see Carrie as a teen, an she's pretty boring, and her story even more so. You can guess pretty much everything that's going to happen from the first page or so. I mean, one guy is introduced as being just like one of the girls and whaddyaknow, turns out he's gay. It's that kind of subtble foreshadowing throughout the book.

At least Carrie's friends were not complete carboncopies of the SatC characters. Sure, there are similarities. Maggie = Charlotte, Roberta/Mouse = Miranda, Walt = Carrie's gay bff whose name I can't remember (Stanley??) ... and I guess there are some similarities between Lali and Samantha, but of course Samantha would never be such a bitch, especially not towards Carrie, so I guess that's where it fell apart. It could've been worse on that front, at least.

I did like that she didn't end up with any guy at the end, but I also rolled my eyes really hard at all the things hinting at what's to come in Carrie's life, about always needing a boyfriend and how she hopes she'll be strong enough to not be in a relationship with some asshole later on. Good luck with that.

Honestly, I liked the Sex and the City book, because it actually did somewhat deal with being single and stuff, but I didn't enjoy this too much nor did I like Lipstick Jungle (lol, wasn't that also a TV show for a while?), so I'm not sure Candance Bushnell is actually a good writer. I think she just got lucky once. ( )
  upontheforemostship | Feb 22, 2023 |
Even though this book has some glaring inconsistencies with the Carrie Bradshaw from the original television show (and from the original newspaper column Carrie), I couldn't help but be charmed by the naiveté and burgeoning sass of this high school era Carrie. Here we see her fall in love for the first time with the unattainable bad boy (though Sebastian Kydd has nothing on John James Preston aka Mr. Big), handle wave after wave of drama with her friends, and navigate high school using her skills to get where she wants to be in life. Throughout it all, we can see the beginning of the newspaper columnist and sexual anthropologist who she will become after moving to New York, as she sits in the middle of her own relationship dilemmas, offers sage advice to her friends, and observes the social norms of the strange planet that is her small town high school - not unlike the social spheres which she will learn to date amongst, navigate, and befriend as she grows up. Carrie's story is only just beginning here, so we can excuse some of her childish pranks, and by the final scene - wherein we are finally introduced to the infamous Samantha Jones - we are fully invested in being carried away. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Mar 31, 2021 |
YAL is my guilty pleasure and this was really good. I read through it very quickly and really enjoyed it. Even though I've watched the series (and movie, haven't seen the second one) and I know what happens to Carrie, I'm still interested in reading sex and the city the novel version. I really like Candace Bushnell's writing style and the depth and quirks and details that she brings to her characters. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
To start, I sort of feel like I was on the outside looking in. Those who are familiar with the Sex and the City series probably knew things would turn out a certain way, while I, an admitted SATC virgin, had NO IDEA!!

It was nice to finally imagine Carrie Bradshaw as someone other than Sarah Jessica Parker (SJP). Admittedly, I have never watched an entire episode of Sex and the City and I can honestly say it has everything to do with not being a HUGE fan of SJP. The Carrie Diaries may have swayed my opinion just enough that I am ready to watch an actual episode! (Thankfully, my sister is a big fan and owns the whole series)

Starting with the first day of her senior year, The Carrie Diaries follows Carrie Bradshaw, and her 'clique', through that final year of high school and all that it entails when you aren't at the top of the social ladder.

I found that all of the characters in this book were very identifiable. Every school, no matter what year you graduated, has a Donna LaDonna, a Sabastien Kydd, a Peter, a pair of Jen's, and even a Carrie Bradshaw. While you are reading, you will imagine these people with the faces of those who they represent in YOUR life... it was fun to remember an easier time... problems that seemed SO big at the time, but really aren't.

Overall, a great summer read. Nothing too challenging here and it will definitely make you jump up and grad Summer and the City as a follow-up read!

This is not "Li'l Carrie." It's not dumbed-down "Sex and the City." It's an origin story. An addictive, ingenious origin story.

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Calvin Bushnell
They say a lot can happen in a summer.

Romance. Young Adult Fiction. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,919,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible