HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Carrie Diaries (2010)

by Candace Bushnell

Series: Carrie Diaries (1)

Tells the story of Manhattan columnist Carrie Bradshaw's high school years, her relationships with her peers, and how she became a writer.

English (50)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
Even though this book has some glaring inconsistencies with the Carrie Bradshaw from the original television show (and from the original newspaper column Carrie), I couldn't help but be charmed by the naiveté and burgeoning sass of this high school era Carrie. Here we see her fall in love for the first time with the unattainable bad boy (though Sebastian Kydd has nothing on John James Preston aka Mr. Big), handle wave after wave of drama with her friends, and navigate high school using her skills to get where she wants to be in life. Throughout it all, we can see the beginning of the newspaper columnist and sexual anthropologist who she will become after moving to New York, as she sits in the middle of her own relationship dilemmas, offers sage advice to her friends, and observes the social norms of the strange planet that is her small town high school - not unlike the social spheres which she will learn to date amongst, navigate, and befriend as she grows up. Carrie's story is only just beginning here, so we can excuse some of her childish pranks, and by the final scene - wherein we are finally introduced to the infamous Samantha Jones - we are fully invested in being carried away. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Mar 31, 2021 |
YAL is my guilty pleasure and this was really good. I read through it very quickly and really enjoyed it. Even though I've watched the series (and movie, haven't seen the second one) and I know what happens to Carrie, I'm still interested in reading sex and the city the novel version. I really like Candace Bushnell's writing style and the depth and quirks and details that she brings to her characters. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
Mostly disappointing. I was looking forward to a picture of Carrie's development as a smart-mouthed and sassy woman. However, it felt like she was already the Carrie from HBO. There's no way a 17-year-old has her act together the way this character did. She was 35-year-old Carrie in a teenager's body. And she was the only character in the book that had any development whatsoever. Everyone else was stale and flat. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I love this!!! So cute to see young Carrie ( )
  jordanakaforever | Jan 13, 2017 |
Predictable, but good! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
To start, I sort of feel like I was on the outside looking in. Those who are familiar with the Sex and the City series probably knew things would turn out a certain way, while I, an admitted SATC virgin, had NO IDEA!!

It was nice to finally imagine Carrie Bradshaw as someone other than Sarah Jessica Parker (SJP). Admittedly, I have never watched an entire episode of Sex and the City and I can honestly say it has everything to do with not being a HUGE fan of SJP. The Carrie Diaries may have swayed my opinion just enough that I am ready to watch an actual episode! (Thankfully, my sister is a big fan and owns the whole series)

Starting with the first day of her senior year, The Carrie Diaries follows Carrie Bradshaw, and her 'clique', through that final year of high school and all that it entails when you aren't at the top of the social ladder.

I found that all of the characters in this book were very identifiable. Every school, no matter what year you graduated, has a Donna LaDonna, a Sabastien Kydd, a Peter, a pair of Jen's, and even a Carrie Bradshaw. While you are reading, you will imagine these people with the faces of those who they represent in YOUR life... it was fun to remember an easier time... problems that seemed SO big at the time, but really aren't.

Overall, a great summer read. Nothing too challenging here and it will definitely make you jump up and grad Summer and the City as a follow-up read!

This is not "Li'l Carrie." It's not dumbed-down "Sex and the City." It's an origin story. An addictive, ingenious origin story.

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

cbt (30820)
For Calvin Bushnell
They say a lot can happen in a summer.

Before Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was a small-town girl who knew she wanted more. She's ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school. Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend's betrayal makes her question everything.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,955,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible