Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm

Turtle in Paradise

by Jennifer L. Holm

In 1935, when her mother gets a job housekeeping for a woman who does not like children, eleven-year-old Turtle is sent to stay with relatives she has never met in far away Key West, Florida.
    Keeper by Kathi Appelt (keeneam)
    Tallahassee Higgins by Mary Downing Hahn (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are about young girls with irresponsible mothers, sent to live with relatives they don't know.

Turtle has never known her father, and her mother is given a job during the Great Depression as a live in maid for a woman who hates children; so Turtle is shuffled off to her aunt's home in Key West, to live with a bunch of no-good boy cousins. The first two thirds of the book meander along with the life and antics of this bunch of boys, their friends, and Turtle - the one girl, the one person who didn't grow up in Key West - learning how to get along. Then the last third of the book takes off in a hurried frenzy to throw in a fantastical plot element, and get everything wrapped up in a hurry. The whole pirate treasure element of the plot was fanciful to the point of absurdity, and the rest of it was much too rushed. Still good, but I wouldn't have handed it a Newbery Honor. ( )
  fingerpost | Aug 18, 2019 |
Gripping story

This was a very good story. I really enjoyed the culture and comedy of this book. I may even check out more books by Jennifer L. Holm. ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
This would be a great book to read together as a class and use as part of a history lesson. I would recommend for fourth grade and up. It is about a little 11-year-old girl whose name is Turtle, she is the main character. She is sent off to an island where she is forced to live with relatives whom she has never met before, but also have equally weird names. While she is there, she learns all about the close-knit island life and about her family. This story takes place during the Great Depression so it can appropriately explain what this was at that point in history to a young reader who may not know. ( )
  csappenfield | Apr 21, 2018 |
I liked it. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
I first read this book as a class assignment. I fell in love with the book and the characters in the story who must discover who they truly are. ( )
  semmenskn | Nov 4, 2017 |

Jennifer L. Holmprimary authorall editionscalculated
Battoe, BeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everyone thinks children are sweet as Necco Wafers, but I've lived long enough to know the truth: kids are rotten. The only difference between grown-ups and kids is that grown-ups go to jail for murder. Kids get away with it.

The story of a girl who moves to Florida because her mother gets a new job. This all takes place in 1935, so where she comes from is a hard place, but Florida is like something she has never seen before.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,754,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible