Take Me There by Carolee Dean

Take Me There (edition 2010)

by Carolee Dean

Member:cbritt29
Title:Take Me There
Authors:Carolee Dean
Info:Simon Pulse (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages

Take Me There by Carolee Dean

The worst book I've read all year. I picked it up because I loved the cover, and I have never been so disappointed. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Wow. That was one hell of a book. The feelings, the twists, the emotions and the confusions. All of it was just perfect!
  hmurya | May 1, 2016 |
Dylan is someone you empathize with - you want him to make it, find something positive. A few elements of the story are a bit unbelievable, but that's forgivable. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
This was not what I was expecting. From the cover and the description I was expecting a slightly dramatic road trip love story, that is not what this is.
I couldn't entirely connect with this book, there was quite a lot that I didn't like.
It was just ok for me.

Full review on my blog www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I was really excited to read Take Me There, but all I was left with was disappointment.

Dylan isn’t an upstanding citizen of the community. He’s already done time in juvie, and is on the run from the law again…for killing someone. He tells us in flashbacks how he got to where he is now, whilst simultaneously continuing the present story. Dylan isn’t really a character I liked, I tried to like him, but I can’t stand people who blame their problems on others, no matter how bad the situation, no matter how much influence others had over you, you always have a choice. Nothing is set in stone.

Wade is Dylan’s best friend, and throughout the entire novel, I wanted to strangle him. He is a boy who has given up on ever becoming anything more than a low-life. Dylan wouldn’t be in most of the trouble he’s in if he had just cut Wade loose.

Take Me There was not inspiring, it was not touching, and it wasn’t even enjoyable in the end. It only proved the stupid point Dylan was hiding behind to begin with: because his father was a criminal, he was destined to be too because it was in his blood. It gave Dylan an excuse for everything he did wrong and it was horrible.

This book didn’t deal with “hard issues” it gave excuses to criminals. It didn’t tell a story about love surviving all, it told about a girl who was dumb enough to love a criminal because it would go against her parents’ wishes.

The only, I guess, beautiful part of this story was Dylan’s parents and their true love for each other, although it was extremely downplayed compared to Dylan’s issues it’s what kept me going. His parents made true sacrifices for each other. Sacrifices that Dylan would probably never understand.

Take Me There was a huge disappointment for me, what promised to be an inspirational romance was nothing but an excuse for horrible behaviour.

Find this review at storywings.com ( )
  storywings | Aug 17, 2012 |

After violating his parole, seventeen-year-old, semi-literate Dylan Dawson drives from California to Texas to try to see his father on death row in an attempt to figure out how his own life has gone so terribly awry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,098,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible