Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen

Woods Runner (edition 2011)

by Gary Paulsen (Author)

From his 1776 Pennsylvania homestead, thirteen-year-old Samuel, who is a highly-skilled woodsman, sets out toward New York City to rescue his parents from the band of British soldiers and Indians who kidnapped them after slaughtering most of their community. Includes historical notes.
Member:Ella_reese
Title:Woods Runner
Authors:Gary Paulsen (Author)
Info:Wendy Lamb Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, 176 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Work Information

Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen

Brief, interspersed historical notes illuminate a riveting wilderness adventure, as 13-year-old Samuel tracks his parents, who were kidnapped from their Pennsylvania homestead by British forces during the American Revolution.
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I found myself surprisingly moved listening to Samuel’s story. He is 13 when war comes to his frontier settlement. His parents are kidnapped, his home is burned to the ground, and he decides to find and free them.

There were so many things I liked about the book. How Samuel is so different from his parents - they chose a life on the frontier to get away from certain aspects of community, and they knew little of how to survive. Samuel was raised in the woods and can feel the land and it’s inhabitants in his soul. I liked how he knew that he had to protect them.

And while it is horribly sad, I liked the presentation of the tragedies of war. It is meaningful and important to show the hurt war inflicts on communities. My heart broke for war orphans and I am grateful that the author chose to share their pain.

Narrator of audiobook was excellent. ( )
  sbecon | Jul 8, 2020 |
Of all the books that I have read by this author there was only one I did not care for...and this one isn't it!

Woods Runner is a good tale of a 13 year old boy growing up on the western Pennsylvania frontier of the late 1700s. While most of the people in the settlement like their neighbors and bucolic lifestyle, young Samuel takes to the woods where he is most comfortable, disappearing for days while exploring, as well as hunting for the community.

But while he is on one of his trips a force of British troops and Hessian mercenaries attack and destroy the settlement, massacring most of the people yet taking a few as prisoners...including Samuel's parents.

This one is a page-turner, a book I could not put down until I found out how things turned out. While categorized as a youth book, it also is a fine adult read. ( )
  fuzzi | Apr 4, 2019 |
The story is instantly involving; less effective are curious single-page history lessons that break it up (with headings like “Frontier Life” and “War Orphans”).

With appreciation, for Shelby
He was not sure exactly when he became a child of the forest.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,536,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible