Stink: Solar System Superhero (Book #5) by…

Stink: Solar System Superhero (Book #5) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Megan McDonald

Member:waterCPC
Title:Stink: Solar System Superhero (Book #5)
Authors:Megan McDonald
Info:Candlewick (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Children's Preview Center
Tags:Pluto(Dwarf Planet)--Fiction

Stink: Solar System Superhero by Megan McDonald (2010)

This book is a fiction chapter book that would be a good read for students who already have some experience reading chapter books. Students who like science and fiction might enjoy this book. The story is made-up, but the content is factual. Students who struggle with informational text might enjoy this book if they like science. There are also detailed pictures in the text, which could help with comprehension. This book might not work very well with an actual science unit, but is still a great way for students to start reading about science.
  aripley16 | Nov 7, 2019 |
When Stink discovers that Pluto has been downgraded from a planet to a dwarf planet, he launches a campaign in his classroom to restore its status to that of a full-fledged member of the solar system. Book #5
  NMiller22 | Aug 15, 2019 |
Reason for Reading: My son enjoys these books, his dad reads them to him at bedtime and I thought it was time I saw what they liked about these books so much.

A totally enjoyable experience from start to finish! Stink is a regular kid, with regular kid problems and fears but when he gets an idea he becomes determined and full of spunk. Stink is flabbergasted when he gets his science test back and is told Pluto is no longer a planet, even Judy, his older sister, can't believe it. Stink gets his facts straight and insists that even if it is a "dwarf" planet then it still is a planet. When the resident Space expert in his class teases him and regales him with all the reasons why Pluto is not a planet, the teacher breaks in and explains that they both are right. Scientists took a vote to send Pluto packing, but some scientists still believe Pluto should counted as a planet. She then assigns Stink and "Space Camp" Riley to a debate the next week and their class will have their own vote on whether Pluto is a planet.

A truly delightful book. As my first introduction to Stink, I was taken with him right away and can understand why my son enjoys his books so much. At the end of each chapter was a comic page with information about each of the planets in order based on the mnemonic saying "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" which was very interesting and extremely humorous. I have to say I particularly liked the stance the author took on Pluto, acknowledging the ongoing debate, showing both sides equally. (I wish all books on science topics did the same!). An amusing and entertaining first chapter book, that could be read aloud to younger children and will hold the interest of older reluctant readers. I'll have to make sure I get books 1-4 read before another new one comes out as I won't be missing out on Stink's adventures any more! ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 6, 2010 |

Megan McDonaldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Peter H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Luke and Cash --M.M.
To my brother, Andy Reynolds --P.H.R.
Flub! Flop! Flunk!

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,524,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible