Feed

by Mira Grant

Series: Newsflesh (1)

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beat the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Nor, twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives-the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will come out, even if it kills them.… (more)
    World War Z by Max Brooks (Aerrin99, andreablythe, HenriMoreaux)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the world post-zombie-apocalypse with history, politics, and fantastic world building.
    The Walking Dead, Volume 01: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (andreablythe)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (clif_hiker)
    Deadline by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 2nd book in the Newsflesh series
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: It may be easy to miss that Seanan McGuire and Mira Grant are the same person - both authorial roles are well worth checking out! She applies her deft skill with world-building and creating characters you adore to both her October Daye urban fantasies and her Newsflesh zombie apocalypse.… (more)
    How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Tie-in for this series.
    Fed by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Book 1.5 for this series.
    San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion (HenriMoreaux)
    Allison Hewitt Is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (ann.elizabeth)
    ann.elizabeth: Another fierce female blogging the zombie apocalypse.
    Countdown by Mira Grant (Disco_grinch)
    Disco_grinch: Short story for this series.
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Parasite zombie plague for political motive.
    Plague of the Dead by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Beyond Exile by J. L. Bourne (HenriMoreaux)
    Thunder and Ashes by Z. A. Recht (HenriMoreaux)
    Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield (SimonW11)
    SimonW11: a zombie apocalpse better written than most
    Blackout by Mira Grant (bikeracer4487)
    bikeracer4487: 3rd and final book in the Newsflesh trilogy!

English (254)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (256)
The book is not about zombies but a political thriller where zombies happen to be in the world. The story follows a set of siblings and their friend who happen to be bloggers set in the future where blogging has replaced the traditional media of today. There is quite a bit of world building (not as much as say “The Passage” has) in the beginning. This world building slows the book down considerably and was difficult for me to read. Actually I thought about putting the book down but I am glad I stuck through it. Once the story picks up it really picks up. There are some twists and turns in the book that accelerates the pace greatly, making for a wonderful read. My largest issue with the book is the villain is too predictable but that is easy enough to look over.

I am happy this book was recommended to me. I would gladly recommend this book to anyone that likes zombie lit!
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
Brains.

In the future, zombies are here and bloggers have taken over the world.

Feed follows the story of George (yup), Shaun (also yup), and Buffy (not even kidding), three bloggers covering the story of a lifetime: a Republican Presidential candidate. Then, as it always goes in a zombie story, things go wrong.

I liked the characters. The bloggers are divided into a newsie (tells it like it is), an Irwin (basically the action stars of the blogging world) (yup), and a fictional (writes poetry); missing only a Stewart (satire in the news) (also yup). I really felt for all of them, even if at time they tended a bit towards caricatures of their roles. Also: evil bad guy is evil and obvious, but sometimes that's not a bad thing.

This is also one of the best treatments of a 'realistic' zombie outbreak that I think I've read. Society has mostly adapted to everyone being a carrier with a system of restrictions (no one can go to Yosemite) and near constant blood tests. The CDC is far more powerful and people have adapted to the idea that any mammal over 40 pounds could be your death.

Therein lies the first oddity with this book: Feed doesn't actually feel like a zombie novel. More than anything it feels like a novel about journalism, politics, and freedom of speech... which just so happens to happen during after the zombie apocalypse. It took me a while to realize this, but I think it makes the novel stronger as a result.

And then there's the twists, oh the twists. I get it, it's a zombie story. People are going to die. Just... I didn't see that coming... Wow. That's certainly one way to get me to read the sequel. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
I'm rewatching The Walking Dead from the beginning and thought I'd try a zombie book. Couldn't have been more bored. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
This is not just another book on a 'zombie apocolypse', it's so much more. It has strong (female) characters, great dialogue, political intrigue, harsh critique on 'old' mass media and an actual solid background in a world transformed by medical science.

And some very witty pop culture references, like the 'Irwins' as very fitting name for daredevil bloggers who love poking zombies with sticks

I ordered the second book "Deadline" when I was halfway through... ( )
  Madjia | Jun 1, 2021 |
Liked the idea more than the execution, but as I read this while in journalism school, I really, really liked the idea. Fun. ( )
  qBaz | May 28, 2021 |
Set more than two decades after an uprising of the living dead, Feed uses meticulous world-building to shape a narrative that’s believable, thrilling, and instantly clear.
added by Aerrin99 | editA.V. Club, Zack Handlen (May 13, 2010)

Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what's true and what's reported.
added by Aerrin99 | editPublisher's Weekly

Panepinto, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Folio SF (498)
This book is gratefully dedicated to Gian-Paulo Musumeci and Michael Ellis.

They each asked me a question.

This is the answer.
Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot - in this case, my brother Shaun - deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.
Wir haben den Krebs besiegt und den Schnupfen ausgerottet. Aber dabei haben wir etwas Grauenhaftes erschaffen, das nicht aufzuhalten ist: ein Virus, das die Toten wiederauferstehen lässt.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,239,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible