Karlsson on the Roof by Astrid Lindgren

Karlsson on the Roof (1955)

by Astrid Lindgren

Series: Karlsson på taket (1)

English (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (6)
Match found. Different edition.
  glsottawa | Apr 5, 2018 |
Cute enough, if you can accept that Smidge" (as the little brother is known as in the English version) is fond of the little man despite his strangeness, greed, and unreliability. The 'jiggery-pokery' with the burglars was pretty darn clever.

But there were other odd bits that threw me off, too. Just the fact that the children's names were 'translated' but the town names weren't was troublesome. And I guess the following is supposed to be playful, as it's portrayed so matter-of-factly:

"Shut your eyes a minute, Mum," said Smidge...
"Why have I got to shut my eyes?"
"So you don't see me eating sugar of course, and I'm just going to take a lump."

Maybe the translation was the main part of what bothered me. We know Lindgren understands children:

"Oh, he'd been waiting so long for this birthday... almost since his last one! It was curious how long it was between birthdays, almost as long as between Christmases."

Or maybe I had trouble with Tony Ross's illustrations. While they were delightful, they also made me feel that Smidge was about 10 or 11, whereas he's really only 7.

Btw, the illustrations do very much remind me of the ones [a:Jules Feiffer|5116|Jules Feiffer|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1208540516p2/5116.jpg] has done for many of the books by [a:Roald Dahl|4273|Roald Dahl|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1311554908p2/4273.jpg]

So, bottom line - some people will love this, and I can guess why, but it just wasn't all I wanted it to be." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Astrid Lindgrenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beekman, VladimirTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wikland, IlonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a perfectly ordinary street in a perfectly ordinary house in Stockholm lives a perfectly ordinary family called Stevenson.
Das stört doch keinen großen Geist.

U sasvim običnoj ulici u Stokholmu i u jednoj sasvim običnoj zgradi živi sasvim običan dečak koji se zove Bata. On ima sedam godina, plave oči, prćast nosić, prljave uši i pantalone koje su stalno pocepane na kolenima. To da je zaista običan sasvim je sigurno. Gore, na krovu te iste zgrade, u maloj, maloj kući, skrivenoj iza dimnjaka, živi sasvim neobičan gospodin po imenu Karlson. On ima neverovatno zgodan motorčić na leđima pomoću kojeg leti, a uz to je lep, pametan i – ako baš želite da verujete u sve što kaže – najbolji u svemu. A Bata mu veruje. Bata je potpuno siguran u to da je Karlson s krova najbolji drug za igranje na svetu.

Imagine Smidge's delight when, one day, a little man with a propeller on his back appears hovering at the window! It's Karlson and he lives in a house on the roof. Soon Smidge and Karlson are sharing all sorts of adventures, from tackling thieves and playing tricks to looping the loop and running across the rooftops. Fun and chaos burst from these charming, classic stories.… (more)

Legacy Library: Astrid Lindgren

Astrid Lindgren has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Astrid Lindgren's legacy profile.

See Astrid Lindgren's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,538,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible