Mockingjay (The Hunger Games Trilogy, Book…

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3) (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

32,015157946 (3.93)1 / 832
Having survived the Hunger Games twice before, Katniss Everdeen is lucky to be alive. However, she is far from safe. With the Capitol and President Snow blaming her for the strife plaguing District 12, Katniss must sacrifice herself to protect her loved ones.
Member:montage
Title:Mockingjay (The Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 3)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Own, Adventure, Read in 2010, Read in 2011, Young Adult, Fantasy, Fiction

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (mariah2)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (mariah2)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (zimzimzoo)
    zimzimzoo: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (airdna)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (callen610)
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (jm501)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (mariah2)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (Bellyn)
    The Rebel Within by Lance Erlick (magelet87)
    magelet87: Ultimate Girl Power about a girl who wants to change her place in the world and think for herself and make her own opinions on how things should be. And change them.
    The Dead Republic by Roddy Doyle (Othemts)
    Othemts: Both books tell of the torment of a revolutionary used and abused by both sides in the battle and finally broken in their humanity.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The rebel assault in Mockingjay is very reminiscent of the Strugatsky bros. book.
    Matched by Ally Condie (glade1)
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M. T. Anderson (Othemts)
    Battle Royale Ultimate Edition Volume 1 (v. 1) by Koushun Takami (gaialover)
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (cransell)

English (1,547)  German (10)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  Italian (5)  French (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (2)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,591)
In deel 1[b:De Hongerspelen|10857048|De Hongerspelen (De Hongerspelen, #1)|Suzanne Collins|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1300957619s/10857048.jpg|2792775] en deel 2 [b:Vlammen|12292612|Vlammen (De Hongerspelen, #2)|Suzanne Collins|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1405158673s/12292612.jpg|6171458] overleeft Katness de Hongerspelen.
In dit 3 en laatste deel wordt zij het gezicht van de rebellen die het Capitool willen vernietigen.

Mooi, meeslepend verhaal, dat naar mijn idee een beetje langdradig werd. Moeite van het lezen wel waard.

(Misshien later meer) ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
It's a good thing I read this in public places or else I would just be a mess of tears. The ending of the series is just as good as the beginning and the middle and still manages to hold my attention while making me wish for more. Now I am counting down the days until the movie. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Lots of death. Lots of crying (by me). An ending that was realistic and not wrapped up in a big pink bow. ( )
  Zaiga | Sep 23, 2019 |
The final installment of The Hunger Games trilogy is kind of frustrating. At least in part it is meant to be. For much of the book Katniss, the arrow wielding heroine, is kept out of the action. Makes sense given the civil war going on that the powers that be would not be that eager to have a 16/17 year old in combat. And her use as a symbol for the rebels is powerful as it allows the author to riff on the media representation and misrepresentation of events and how that can cloud minds. However, when Katniss has been the center of the action for the first two books, much of this book dragged for me waiting for her to get her chance. Blessedly, even during this down time, the triangle of Katniss, Peeta and Gale never smothers the story. This was my biggest fear when beginning to read the trilogy. Events are managed well that tumble them in and out of each other's lives in ways that complicate and ease the tension of their bonds. When the action picks up in the second half it is vivid and shocking. I'll give the book credit that there was a desire to lull me into a bit of complacency so that the finale would seem more brutal when the violence finally does when it rears itself upon the reader. While books one and two deftly incorporate the sci-fi elements into the story in a way that the reader still feels the real world behind them, the third book smothers the reader in the fantastic so as to become a whir and a blur. There is senseless waste in any war, and little time to mourn, but some of it just felt like nonsense. I actually began to wonder if she were beginning to imagine it--partly because some of her life and death situations seemed to be base on whim. Her excuse a little too often is that events have driven her beyond caring. While not completely successful, it does fairly well conclude the trilogy--though it did not leave me wanting more. ( )
  KurtWombat | Sep 15, 2019 |
After (another) summary of the plot thus far, Collins wrote a sentence about what Katniss (which is a very stupid name. this book is full of stupid names.) saw out of the window, and what she thought while seeing it. So there was a summary of the summary. I quit. Even for fluff, this shit is crummy.

If someone can find a ten page stretch that doesn't contain some pointless rehash of everything or reminder of some plot point, I'll mail that person a $20. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Collins is absolutely ruthless in her depictions of war in all its cruelty, violence, and loss, leaving readers, in turn, repulsed, shocked, grieving and, finally, hopeful for the characters they've grown to empathize with and love. Mockingjay is a fitting end to the series that began with The Hunger Games (2008) and Catching Fire (2009) and will have the same lasting resonance as William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Stephen King's The Stand. However, the book is not a stand-alone; readers do need to be familiar with the first two titles in order to appreciate the events and characters in this one.

The series ends on an ostensibly happy note, but the heartbreaking effects of war and loss aren't sugar-coated. This is one YA novel that will leave you thinking about the ramifications of war on society, not just the coming-of-age of a young woman.

All in all, Mockingjay confirms what we've suspected already — The Hunger Games isn't just a powerful saga about a unique, memorable hero struggling to do the right thing in the public gaze. It's also an important work of science fiction that everyone should read, because if you don't, you'll be left out of all the best conversations.

The novel's biggest surprises are found elsewhere. Hope emerges from despair. Even in a dystopian future, there's a better future.

Fans will be happy to hear that Mockingjay is every bit as complex and imaginative as Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cap, Charlie, and Isabel
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.
My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides. "I'm going to be the Mockingjay."
He understands I don't want anyone with me today. Not even him. Some walks you have to take alone.
And it takes too much energy to stay angry with someone who cries so much.
"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion," I tell him.
Frankly, our ancestors don't seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn't care about what would happen to the people who came after them.

MY NAME IS KATNISS EVERDEEN.
WHY AM I NOT DEAD?
I SHOULD BE DEAD.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans — except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the Mockingjay of the rebels — no matter what the personal cost.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 15.0
Peeta, Katniss, Gale, The Hunger Games they had played. Now it's war they face.
In the aftermath
of the Quarter Quell, all have
to fight their demons.
(passion4reading)
Book one was so good
My appetite waned by two
By three, not hungry

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book Mockingjay was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,923,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible