HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to…

The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (Toltec Wisdom) (edition 2011)

by Don Miguel Ruiz (Author)

Since 1997, "The Four Agreements" has transformed the lives of many around the world with a simple but profound message--eliminating the learned practices of "agreements that go against ourselves and create needless suffering." With this sequel, readers are encouraged to recover the power of their authenticity -- to be who they really are.… (more)
Member:JoysCollection
Title:The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (Toltec Wisdom)
Authors:Don Miguel Ruiz (Author)
Info:Amber-Allen Publishing (2011), 248 pages

Work Information

The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery by Don Miguel Ruiz (Author)

English (6)  French (1)  All languages (7)
Don Miguel’s second book starts with a summary of the four agreements that he wrote about in his first book. He added the fifth agreement. I agree, only partially, with the fifth agreement. In my view, it should have been framed differently.

The rest of the book is a rehash of the second half of his first book. It is useful to reread it because you – the reader – get a chance to look at the material with fresh eyes.

Most of the writing style is quite straightforward, and he does call a spade a spade. Don Miguel does not beat about the bush.

I am not sure why he keeps talking about Toltec wisdom because the five agreements lie in the realm of practical advice. ( )
  RajivC | Jun 10, 2020 |
4 stars! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-fifth-agreement-practical-guid...

The Fifth Agreement is a follow up on the book The Four Agreements written in 1997. Both books are meant to be life guides based on Toltec philosophies that originated in Mexico. This book reiterates the four agreements - be impeccable in your word, don't take anything personally, don't make assumptions, and always do your best. The book elaborates on each of them and introduces a fifth that according to the author "wasn't included in my first book because the first four agreements were enough of a challenge at that time." That agreement is to be skeptical but ready to listen.

As is the case in books of this genre, the base ideas are simple and understandable. Implementation of them is quite another matter, and that is where the book and many like it falls short. It presents the ideas but without the practical suggestions as to how to implement them.

As a framework, I agree with many of the ideas and principles in the book. It seems like it should be accompanied by a "how to" guide, or perhaps my need for that is a statement to where I am on my own spiritual journey. I do know, however, that certain descriptions and imagery like the quote above do stand out and will stay with me for a long time.

As with many books in this genre, I will take what benefits me from it and leave the rest. ( )
  njmom3 | Jun 20, 2013 |
Companion book to The Four Agreements and The Mastery of Love, The Fifth Agreement focuses on "Be skeptical, but learn to listen". In truth, the message was difficult to grasp. However, the original four agreements: 1. Be impeccable with your word 2. Take nothing personally 3. Make no assumptions 4. Always do your best still are the best lessons to learn for finding happiness. In essence, the Fifth Agreement is about truth and happiness and to allow yourself to go beyond the symbols of our daily life to simply live. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Mar 29, 2011 |

Ruiz, Don MiguelAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ruiz, Don JoseAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mills, JanetAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Beyond Words Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Editions: 1878424599, 1878424610

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,201,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible