Old and on Their Own

by Robert Coles

Other authors: Alex Harris (Photographer), Thomas Roma (Photographer)

201915,273 (4)None
Dr. Coles introduces us to eleven men and women over the age of 75 living on their own. These older Americans share their thoughts, memories, aspirations, and worries, and tell us what it means to be old. Their stories are full of humor and hope, told with courage and dignity. The photographic essay by Alex Harris and Thomas Roma provides an important visual dimension to this book. Harris photographed in Durham, North Carolina, and Roma in his native Brooklyn. Whether rural or urban, black or white, rich or poor, these elderly people emerge as strong and inspiring individuals who deserve our respect and admiration, and who show us how to live our later years to the fullest.… (more)

Wonderful interviews of older people. There is a lot of good advice on aging for those who have been there, done that. The photographs are well posed and show those portrayed respectfully. It is quite a contrast to the photographs in the book Yessir, I've been here a long time: The faces and words of Americans who have lived a century which seems to make the people look as ugly as possible ( )
  carterchristian1 | Sep 4, 2010 |

Robert Colesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, AlexPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roma, ThomasPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To the memory of those who have gone before us, handed us along
[Introduction] This book was prompted by the long-standing interest of the Commonwealth Fund in the various fates of America's elderly people in the last years of the twentieth century.
Forty-one out of the fifty-two weeks in the year 1991 I came to visit here, so she told me early in 1992.
[Photographs by Alex Harris and Thomas Roma] The wok of the photographer is wordless--the silence of sight's explorations as they are rendered for us, the beholding "other."

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,145,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible