Playing With Fire (2009)

by Theoren Fleury

Other authors: Kirstie McLellan Day, Wayne Gretzky (Foreword)

In Playing With Fire, Theo Fleury takes us behind the bench during his glorious days as an NHL player, and talks about growing up devastatingly poor and in chaos at home. Dark personal issues began to surface, and drinking, drugs, gambling, and girls ultimately derailed a career that had him destined for the Hall of Fame. Fleury shares all in this raw, captivating, and honest look at the previously untold story of one the game's greatest heroes.… (more)

English (3)  Finnish (1)  All languages (4)
At times shockingly honest; at times just shocking. This is Theo Fleury's story of his life as a star NHL player. He was abused by a trusted coach as a young player and kept that secret for many years, leading to problems with drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex. Overall, it is an inspiring story as turns his life around. It is also very violent and often appears vindictive against some fellow players. It's well written...I felt I was there with him, just not sure I always wanted to be!

I want to reinforce his message that about 1 in 6 boys are abused. More and more, we see women coming forward to tell their stories of abuse and harassment. I hope we can find more ways to enable male victims to do so as well. Sexual predators of all kinds must be stopped and Theo Fleury is courageously reminding us of that. ( )
  LynnB | Nov 8, 2017 |
I think it was an excellent book about 1 mans struggles and successes in life. We are all human. We all make mistakes. We all fall. We all have the opportunity to rise!! ( )
  yahscott | Mar 7, 2016 |
Unapologetic, ego-centered autobiography straight from the appalling underbelly of professional sports by the posterboy for NHL rage and self-destructive excess. Under-appreciated (as far as he's concerned) and mistreated by managers, coaches, ex-wives, etc. no matter how outrageous his behavior, his life is one long rampage through booze, drugs, gambling casinos and strip joints. When he's not blaming his booze- and drug-addled parents, he's blaming Graham James--who, of course, is very much to blame for a whole lot. Fleury has finally decided to talk about the sexual molestation he suffered under James in junior hockey, after denying it for years despite Sheldon Kennedy's brave coming forward. [For the record, he says he doesn't believe--though he doesn't know--that Joe Sakic (who he calls a "nerd" off the ice--choose your heroes...) was molested by James. Both their names have been front and center in the speculation for years.] Well made, actually, no doubt because co-authored, and interesting and enlightening--often unpleasantly--for a hockey fan. ( )
  beaujoe | May 12, 2010 |

Theoren Fleuryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Day, Kirstie McLellansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gretzky, WayneForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,318,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible