Closed Circles by Viveca Sten

Closed Circles (2009)

by Viveca Sten

Krimi fra Stockholms skærgård, hvor en stor regetta skydes i gang. Samtidig skydes en kendt advokat, og kriminalassistent Thomas Andreasson, der selv er blandt publikum, tager fat på opklaringen.

English (4)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (12)
The second Sandhamn Murder Series novel is set about a year after the first. Once again Sandhamn is heaving with people on their summer holidays, and the Royal Swedish Yacht Club is holding one of their largest and most popular events. Suddenly, just as the starting gun sounds for the race, a prominent yacht club member is shot and killed. Police officers Thomas Andreassen and Margit Grankvist are assigned to the investigation.

As part of the investigation, Thomas asks his childhood friend Nora Linde to advise on some financial matters related to the case. Nora is struggling with her own issues, namely conflict with her husband Henrik on how to handle some inherited property. In the previous book, Nora gave up a job opportunity in another town for the sake of Henrik’s career, and resents him taking control of the property decision. This subplot further develops Nora’s character, and it’s clear she will continue to be part of this series as it moves forward.

The mystery itself was a little more complicated than in the first book, and Viveca Sten uses a classic misdirect to keep readers from solving the crime too soon. I admit I figured out where the author was going, but not how all the pieces fit together, so this was still a satisfying read. ( )
  lauralkeet | Aug 15, 2019 |
It's a year later, the summer after the events in Still Waters, and an important yacht race is happening at Sandhamn. Thomas is a spectator, a guest on the marine police boat he once captained, when the starting gun fires--and the prominent lawyer, commanding a yacht favored to win, collapses to the deck of his yacht.

It wasn't the starting gun that killed him, of course, but someone used the starting gun as cover for the sound of t was the rifle they used to shoot Oscar Juliander.

Juliander was successful, prominent, a major figure in the yacht club, and well-liked. He was especially liked by women, and had, in addition to a well-connected wife who looked the other way, a string of ex-lovers whom he'd managed to part with on reasonably friendly terms. He also had a lifestyle that seems not to have been adequately supported by the income the police can identify--yet there is no untoward debt, either. Where is the money coming from?

Thomas, Margit, and the rest of their team have potential motives, but no one they can connect to them who doesn't have a good alibi for the time of the shooting. What's going on?

Thomas's friend Nora, a bank lawyer, helps them track down some potentially critical evidence regarding finances. Thomas is dogged and persistent, even has this confusing case drags on, and another murder occurs that appears to be directly connected. It's complicated, interesting, and compelling.

Meanwhile, both Thomas and Nora have problems in their personal lives. For Thomas, Carina is a sweet, charming girl who does really love him--but he's finding he doesn't love her. The age difference doesn't have to be a relationship killer, but for Thomas, Carina's youth is too great a difference. He's been enjoying her cheerful vitality in a way that he increasingly feels has been exploitative, and it's now just making him feel old. For Nora, of course, it's her husband, Henrik, who might have learned something from her near-death the previous year, but apparently didn't. Things are deteriorating, and maybe, maybe, Nora is starting to recognize what she really needs to do.

What puzzles me in the story is that Margit, who is Thomas's older, more experienced partner, has so little presence. More so than in the first book, when she was of course supposed to be on vacation, but why does Thomas seem to be running this investigation? It's not an inability to write strong characters, and maybe we'll see more of Margit in future books.

Overall, a very good, satisfying mystery. Recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Rating: 3.5* of five

Ya know what's frustrating? Like lips moving from Heaven to flapping at you frustrating? NOT BEING ABLE TO TELL YOU WHY THIS ISN'T A 4-STAR REVIEW. Because major, major spoilers would be required for me to do that.

Minor irks: Carina and Thomas are brought up and dropped in the space of a few sentences. I'd like more of that please. The partial resolution of Nora's marital woes is a good start, but this entry has next to no Nora-and-Thomas time and I missed it. The Eva subplot's resolution doesn't seem finished, somehow. It seems unlikely to be complete as it stands and it itches for that reason.

Something about these books and their lutefisk-and-cardamom atmosphere makes me crave a jalapeño cheeseburger. I guess that's an index of how very Swedish they are. And how cozy are they? So cozy I want to cruise the piers (I'd have to learn to time-travel, but that's just an added bonus) to recover from the wholesome.

So all in all, a good read and a series I can recommend to my smut-averse, violence-averse puzzle-solving friends. ( )
1 vote richardderus | Apr 21, 2018 |
This is the second novel in this series, and for my money it's definitely better than number one. The good things about the first novel -- sympathetic central characters, an interesting and appealing setting, and a deft hand with police procedure -- are still there. Moreover, I found the plot more engrossing; the character of the first victim becomes central to the story, and the detectives' quest for the truth of it was compelling. Also, the summery atmosphere is just as marked as in the first novel, clouded by a singularly upscale pair of murders. What bothered me most about the first novel, a clunky translation, is less in evidence. I look forward to reading number three in the series, due in May. ( )
  annbury | Apr 1, 2017 |
Information from the Icelandic Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,867,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible