Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles, The) by…

Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles, The)

by Alister E. McGrath

Written somewhat along the lines of C. S. Lewis' 'Narnia' but a little less engaging due to its much stripped down plot and simpler writing style.
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
I love reading Alister McGrath. I wanted to love this book. I wanted to give it five stars.

But I can’t.

The plot is pretty simple, and is familiar to anyone who has read fantasy before. A world in trouble, children from our world transported magically to save it in fulfillment of an ancient prophecy, one of the kids is very sensative to the magic of the place and the other isn’t ….

Halfway through this book, I realized that McGrath must have been reading a lot of Narnia lately. That was all I could think of as I read the book — “Wow … this sounds like Narnia.” And that would be a high compliment if the book measured up to the Narnia books. But it falls just a bit short; it seems like McGrath is trying just a little too hard to be C.S. Lewis. And nobody can be C.S. Lewis.

This is one of a very few books I’ve gotten lately that I just couldn’t bring myself to finish; there’s not enough there that I really care about. Very disappointing. ( )
1 vote wkelly42 | Aug 2, 2011 |
Good and enjoyable but nothing special.

Very reminicient of C.S. Lewis - parallels to The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe abound, as well as a few sections that seem more remincient in not such a direct way to Out of the Silent Planet or Perelandra.

It was however - not as allegorical and more specifically spelled out than Lewis's works, so those who do not wish to read a religious story may want to avoid.

Overall not a bad read - though I am glad I got it for free when it was free for the Kindle rather than purchasing it myself. ( )
2 vote YoungGeekyLibrarian | Jan 4, 2011 |

The land of Aedyn is a paradise beyond all imagining. But when this paradise falls, strangers from another world must be called to fight for the truth. Peter and Julia never suspected that a trip to their grandparents' home in Oxford would contain anything out of the ordinary. But that was before Julia stumbled upon a mysterious garden that shone on moonless nights. It was no accident that she fell into the pool, pulling her brother along with her, but now they're lost in a strange new world and they don't know whom they can trust. Should they believe the mysterious, hooded lords? The ancient monk who appears only when least expected? Or the silent slaves who have a dark secret of their own? In a world inhabited by strange beasts and magical whisperings, two children called from another world will have to discover who they truly are, fighting desperate battles within themselves before they can lead the great revolution.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:13 -0400)

When Peter and Julia go to stay with their grandparents in Oxford, England, they discover a mysterious garden, which serves as a portal to a world where they are greeted as the saviors of a people enslaved by evildoers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible