Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

Blood Oath (edition 2010)

by Christopher Farnsworth

Member:morwen04
Title:Blood Oath
Authors:Christopher Farnsworth
Info:Putnam Adult (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*

Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston (elbakerone, Mumugrrl)
    elbakerone: Fans of Farnsworth's Nathaniel Cade might also enjoy Preston & Child's hero Special Agent Pendergast - not a vampire, but still manages to blend government and paranormal. The third book in the Pendergast series (Cabinet of Curiosities) has many similarities to Blood Oath as well.… (more)
    Mumugrrl: I second this recommendation. Nathaniel Cade is what Pendergast would be like if he were a vampire.
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (titania86)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (angelikat)

Zach Barrows never expected his government job description to include a briefing manual with the code name “Nightmare Pet”. One hundred and forty years ago Nathaniel Cade was just “turned” when authorities found him feeding on shipmates. When he awoke he found himself in a cell with the president of the United States standing over him with an offer that he was not allowed to refuse. Enlisting a voodoo princess to put a spell on him effectively not allowing him to refuse the orders of the president, Cade secretly became “The President’s Vampire”. His existence is known to only those few who help facilitate his missions to deal with the other-worldly threats to the United States. Throw in Konrad – the mad scientist with Dr. Frankenstein like abilities, a cadre of Eastern European werewolves and an army of reanimated soldiers and you have a thrill packed action novel.

Mr. Farnsworth is a screenwriter and this is his first venture into writing a novel. His book moves along like a screenplay; action, romance, intrigue and chaos. His dialogue is quick and witty. His vampire is chilly, brooding and very introspective. A different take on vampire lore and I’ll definitely be picking up the second book.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
An interesting take on the vampire... not bad. I will check out the others in this series. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Blood Oath delivers exactly what it promises - a unique, genre-bending mix between horror, political thriller, and action novel. Extremely fun and entertaining. ( )
  les121 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Blood Oath is a cross between a political thriller and a vampire novel. A vampire who has served American Presidents since Andrew Johnson is caught up in a conspiracy at the highest levels of government involving the original Dr. Frankenstein, a shadowy off-shoot of the CIA, Middle Eastern terrorists, and most likely the Vice President as well.

Overall, it is pretty formulaic. But it delivers well on the formula with short, effective chapters that read like a screenplay. It ends with a global montage that dangles several loose ends for sequel(s) -- but as much as I enjoyed this one, I don't think I'll be reading the next because it won't have the most interesting parts of this which were the backstory, the creation of a believable vampire world, etc But I'm glad I read this one. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Thought I would try this because I rather like a good Vampire story as long as it's not too vapid and well, nobody...sparkles. I also am a fan of Robert Ludlum's books, and this rather reminded me of them in some spots with the action sequences.

My favorite approach to the Vampire mythos--well any fantasy/science fiction really--is when an author has a very logical world set up, definite rules for how the Vampire or fantastic creature must live and act, and a good back story for how they got that way. I have a medical background so I guess that's why I like to have things explained to me logically--almost like I'd be making a diagnosis. I really enjoyed the "reports" and "data" that was offered in each chapter regarding the "subject", Nathaniel Cain. I do wish we got to know him better, but that only made me want the next book more to be honest. I guess that's part of the old maxim of always leave'em wanting more.

The story of the President binding the Vampire to him through Voodoo was very affecting once they got to the point where Nathaniel tells it. I've always been an X-files fan so, why not have a Vampire who works for the President seeking out that sort of thing? A very good use for one if you can find one. The relationships between the FBI handler and Cain was really handled well. Actually the characters were all very realistic. I enjoyed the smart alec, politically savvy young whipper snapper who is suddenly saddled with being Cain's handler. He was a wonderful contrast to the previous handler.

And I just started to type spoilers so I'll wrap it up. This is a really well written book that I enjoyed greatly. Then, I read it out loud to my daughter and she also enjoyed it. (She's 9 so there was some mild censorship as I read. lol) She also enjoyed the action and the drama. Thank goodness she wasn't as aware as I was of how close to the headlines the book felt at times with our history of terrorist attacks--which made the threat in the book seem only more real.

Highly recommended. ( )
  Clare_M | May 25, 2014 |
To my mother and my brother, and to Jean, who believed in me when I did not believe in myself.
After two extended tours in Iraq, Army Specialist Wayne Denton thought he'd never be cold again.

Watch a video
Find this   author on Facebook
Zach Barrows is an ambitious young White House staffer whose career takes an unexpected turn when he's partnered with Nathaniel Cade, a secret agent sworn to protect the President. But Cade is no ordinary civil servant. Bound by a special blood oath, he is a vampire. Cade battles nightmares before they can break into the daylight world of the American dream, enemies far stranger-and far more dangerous-than civilians have ever imagined.

Blood Oath is the first in a series of novels featuring Nathaniel Cade-the President's vampire.

"Christopher Farnsworth's taut thriller Blood Oath is an irresistible page-turner.... A complex and unnervingly realistic tale in which vampire Nathaniel Cade is far less of a monster than his human colleagues at the CIA and FBI. Dazzlingly clever."The Washington Post

"Blood Oath is exactly how I like my Presidential thrillers. With vampires."—Brad Meltzer, author of The Book of Fate

"Blood Oath is the vampire novel that finally gets it right. Christopher Farnsworth has done his homework in places where most writers wouldn't even know to look-and the result is a rollicking tale of the supernatural grounded in some of the true oddities of American history. If Dan Brown wrote a vampire thriller, this would be it."—Mitch Horowitz, author of Occult America

"As someone who thinks Stoker's Dracula has never been bettered, and who would happily stick a stake through the heart of most modern vampire fiction, it almost pains me to say how much I enjoyed Blood Oath. Witty, exciting, and compulsively readable, with a central character who seems destined to become a favorite of both skeptics and true blood believers, this may just be the best debut vampire novel in many years." —John Connolly, author of The Lovers

Zach Barrows is an ambitious young White House staffer whose career takes an unexpected turn when he's partnered with Nathaniel Cade, a secret agent sworn to protect the President. But Cade is no ordinary civil servant--he is a vampire.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

BLOOD OATH by farnsworthchristoper was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,425,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible