Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

Blood Oath (edition 2010)

by Christopher Farnsworth

Title:Blood Oath
Authors:Christopher Farnsworth
Info:Putnam Adult (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages

Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

The cabinet of curiosities by Douglas Preston (elbakerone, Mumugrrl)
    elbakerone: Fans of Farnsworth's Nathaniel Cade might also enjoy Preston & Child's hero Special Agent Pendergast - not a vampire, but still manages to blend government and paranormal. The third book in the Pendergast series (Cabinet of Curiosities) has many similarities to Blood Oath as well.… (more)
    Mumugrrl: I second this recommendation. Nathaniel Cade is what Pendergast would be like if he were a vampire.
    Already dead by Charlie Huston (titania86)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (angelikat)

Notes while reading:
Oh, I love the humor in this book. I am chuckling more than I'm wincing, which for a vampire book is a good thing. More than half way through, I won't stop listening.

Bronson Pinchot reading it makes it that much better!
After completion:

The sarcasm, the humor, the smart alec of a character, this is all great. Enjoyable book on many levels, To think the US has a vampire on retainer is an interesting plot twist I'd not expected and that was the beginning of the book! There will be scenes in the book that you won't understand when you first start reading. They do all connect at the book's end. I promise.

This is the kind of book, the kind of author, that I'd like to write like if I had to emulate anyone when I wrote. He may be a mid-list author, but I don't care. He's a good writer and that's what matters. ( )
  gilroy | Sep 25, 2015 |
I'm not sure whether I appreciated this book in its own right, or in comparison to the fluffier, romance-driven vampire novels I've been reading recently. If I could give this 3 1/2 stars, I would do that, because I really did enjoy this, but towards the end I was a little bit tired of some of the characters. I didn't feel entirely comfortable in the world that Farnsworth created - I never really felt like it was real; that's one of the things that I love about Twilight, and hate about True Blood.

But this was definitely more action oriented, leaving a lot less time for character drama, and essentially just go go go all the way through, and I would highly recommend it for a summer beach read. ( )
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
Zach Barrows never expected his government job description to include a briefing manual with the code name “Nightmare Pet”. One hundred and forty years ago Nathaniel Cade was just “turned” when authorities found him feeding on shipmates. When he awoke he found himself in a cell with the president of the United States standing over him with an offer that he was not allowed to refuse. Enlisting a voodoo princess to put a spell on him effectively not allowing him to refuse the orders of the president, Cade secretly became “The President’s Vampire”. His existence is known to only those few who help facilitate his missions to deal with the other-worldly threats to the United States. Throw in Konrad – the mad scientist with Dr. Frankenstein like abilities, a cadre of Eastern European werewolves and an army of reanimated soldiers and you have a thrill packed action novel.

Mr. Farnsworth is a screenwriter and this is his first venture into writing a novel. His book moves along like a screenplay; action, romance, intrigue and chaos. His dialogue is quick and witty. His vampire is chilly, brooding and very introspective. A different take on vampire lore and I’ll definitely be picking up the second book.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
An interesting take on the vampire... not bad. I will check out the others in this series. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Blood Oath delivers exactly what it promises - a unique, genre-bending mix between horror, political thriller, and action novel. Extremely fun and entertaining. ( )
  les121 | Aug 19, 2014 |
To my mother and my brother, and to Jean, who believed in me when I did not believe in myself.
After two extended tours in Iraq, Army Specialist Wayne Denton thought he'd never be cold again.
Briefing book, code name Nightmare Pet

Watch a video
Find this   author on Facebook
Zach Barrows is an ambitious young White House staffer whose career takes an unexpected turn when he's partnered with Nathaniel Cade, a secret agent sworn to protect the President. But Cade is no ordinary civil servant. Bound by a special blood oath, he is a vampire. Cade battles nightmares before they can break into the daylight world of the American dream, enemies far stranger-and far more dangerous-than civilians have ever imagined.

Blood Oath is the first in a series of novels featuring Nathaniel Cade-the President's vampire.

"Christopher Farnsworth's taut thriller Blood Oath is an irresistible page-turner.... A complex and unnervingly realistic tale in which vampire Nathaniel Cade is far less of a monster than his human colleagues at the CIA and FBI. Dazzlingly clever."The Washington Post

"Blood Oath is exactly how I like my Presidential thrillers. With vampires."—Brad Meltzer, author of The Book of Fate

"Blood Oath is the vampire novel that finally gets it right. Christopher Farnsworth has done his homework in places where most writers wouldn't even know to look-and the result is a rollicking tale of the supernatural grounded in some of the true oddities of American history. If Dan Brown wrote a vampire thriller, this would be it."—Mitch Horowitz, author of Occult America

"As someone who thinks Stoker's Dracula has never been bettered, and who would happily stick a stake through the heart of most modern vampire fiction, it almost pains me to say how much I enjoyed Blood Oath. Witty, exciting, and compulsively readable, with a central character who seems destined to become a favorite of both skeptics and true blood believers, this may just be the best debut vampire novel in many years." —John Connolly, author of The Lovers

Zach Barrows is an ambitious young White House staffer whose career takes an unexpected turn when he's partnered with Nathaniel Cade, a secret agent sworn to protect the President. But Cade is no ordinary civil servant--he is a vampire.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

BLOOD OATH by farnsworthchristoper was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,785,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible