Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

Blood Oath (edition 2010)

by Christopher Farnsworth

Member:morwen04
Title:Blood Oath
Authors:Christopher Farnsworth
Info:Putnam Adult (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*
Tags:No Ugh No

Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

The Cabinet Of Curiosities by Douglas Preston (elbakerone, Mumugrrl)
    elbakerone: Fans of Farnsworth's Nathaniel Cade might also enjoy Preston & Child's hero Special Agent Pendergast - not a vampire, but still manages to blend government and paranormal. The third book in the Pendergast series (Cabinet of Curiosities) has many similarities to Blood Oath as well.… (more)
    Mumugrrl: I second this recommendation. Nathaniel Cade is what Pendergast would be like if he were a vampire.
    Already dead : a novel by Charlie Huston (titania86)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (angelikat)

All most people remember about President Andrew Johnson was that he became President only because Abraham Lincoln had been assassinated and he missed being impeached by one vote. Apparently he also gave a secret Presidential pardon to a young vampire and got a Voodoo priestess to bind the vampire to whoever was currently President. It seems that there is a whole legion of other worldly threats to humanity, other vampires, zombies and of course mad scientists that the public is kept blissfully unaware of.

I don't much care for vampire books but I could not stop reading this. Nathaniel Cade is a wonderful, and actually lovable character...as much as you can love a vampire. The action is quite fast paced, the outrageous plot elements are presented in such a way as to sound plausible and the characters are written well enough to come to life. Can't wait to read the next in the series, the president's Vampire ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Since Farnsworth is a screenwriter, it didn't surprise me at all that this book read like a screenplay: fast-paced, with not a lot of time spent on details and flowery prose. In fact, it would surprise me even less to discover that he originally wrote it as a screenplay and adapted it as a novel to get some attention (which worked--assuming that's the case--since it's slated to become a film soon). I like reading screenplays myself, so that helped my enjoyment of the book. The other thing that kept me hooked was the history, and I'd love to read some prequels that take place earlier.

This is not your typical vampire book for sure. ( )
  cvalin | Jan 24, 2016 |
Blood Oath is the story of vampire Nathaniel Cade, pardoned for vampirism by President Andrew Johnson, and now required to loyally serve each subsequent president of the United States. Cade is an interesting character who seems closer to James Bond and Jack Reacher than Dracula. He takes pride in his patriotism and professionalism. He's absolutely fascinating but the secondary characters are also well developed. We have Zach Barrows, an arrogant young Washington insider assigned to work with Cade after being caught with the president's daughter. In their first assignment together they must work together to stop terrorists who are shipping dismembered American soldiers into the U.S., intending to create Unmenschsoldat, undead killing machines, better known as Frankenstein monsters. Cade and Zach are sent to find the one man who can create those monsters, but are unable to prove anything. Even worse, they have attracted hostile attention from several different areas, including the evil Dr. Konrad, a beautiful vampire named Tania, and a terrifying Shadow Company which knows no mercy. Cade is a very compelling sort of anti-hero, a vampire who doesn't really like the humans he's sworn to protect. He's arrogant, brooding and vicious, and knows both the intelligence game as well as the supernatural realm.

I'm not a fan of vampire novels but this one is much more than that. It's part vampire, part thriller and loads of fun to read. The plot moves along quickly and there's a perfect blend of Black Ops thriller combined with vampires, werewolves and the undead. The concept is a good one and it works well. If you like political thrillers and vampires you are in for a real treat. I immediately picked up the second and third books in this fascinating series.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Review to follow... ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
Review to follow... ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
To my mother and my brother, and to Jean, who believed in me when I did not believe in myself.
After two extended tours in Iraq, Army Specialist Wayne Denton thought he'd never be cold again.
Briefing book, code name Nightmare Pet

Watch a video
Find this   author on Facebook
Zach Barrows is an ambitious young White House staffer whose career takes an unexpected turn when he's partnered with Nathaniel Cade, a secret agent sworn to protect the President. But Cade is no ordinary civil servant. Bound by a special blood oath, he is a vampire. Cade battles nightmares before they can break into the daylight world of the American dream, enemies far stranger-and far more dangerous-than civilians have ever imagined.

Blood Oath is the first in a series of novels featuring Nathaniel Cade-the President's vampire.

"Christopher Farnsworth's taut thriller Blood Oath is an irresistible page-turner.... A complex and unnervingly realistic tale in which vampire Nathaniel Cade is far less of a monster than his human colleagues at the CIA and FBI. Dazzlingly clever."The Washington Post

"Blood Oath is exactly how I like my Presidential thrillers. With vampires."—Brad Meltzer, author of The Book of Fate

"Blood Oath is the vampire novel that finally gets it right. Christopher Farnsworth has done his homework in places where most writers wouldn't even know to look-and the result is a rollicking tale of the supernatural grounded in some of the true oddities of American history. If Dan Brown wrote a vampire thriller, this would be it."—Mitch Horowitz, author of Occult America

"As someone who thinks Stoker's Dracula has never been bettered, and who would happily stick a stake through the heart of most modern vampire fiction, it almost pains me to say how much I enjoyed Blood Oath. Witty, exciting, and compulsively readable, with a central character who seems destined to become a favorite of both skeptics and true blood believers, this may just be the best debut vampire novel in many years." —John Connolly, author of The Lovers

Zach Barrows is an ambitious young White House staffer whose career takes an unexpected turn when he's partnered with Nathaniel Cade, a secret agent sworn to protect the President. But Cade is no ordinary civil servant--he is a vampire.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

BLOOD OATH by farnsworthchristoper was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,470,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible