Private by James Patterson

Authors:James Patterson
Other authors:Maxine Paetro
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages

Private by James Patterson

I picked this one up a couple years ago when it was offered for free by Audible. It sat in my library forgotten as I kept choosing to listen to other books instead. After finishing up my last audio book I didn't know what I wanted to listen to next, remembered I had this one downloaded and gave it a go.

Private is a world renowned investigative agency, known for it's fast results and keeping it's clients information private. Jack Morgan inherited the business when his father died and has worked hard to make the company what it is today. Currently on deck is an investigation into NFL game fixing, looking into the unsolved slayings of sixteen schoolgirls and also looking into the murder his best friend's wife.

This is the first time I've read James Patterson so I don't know if all his books are like this or if this is more the influence of the ghost writer. There are too many plots and too many choppy chapters which made for weird pacing. Throw in Jack's junkie brother in trouble with the mob and Jack's flashbacks to his marine days and its just too few pages to do any of the stories justice. Which is a shame as there are some good ideas in here that could make great books on their own.

On the flip side, I enjoyed the narrator Peter Hermann. His voice is great for a private investigator and he tried to inject some emotion to the mostly flat characters.

Also, who puts extra chapters in their epilogue?? That was just strange. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 4, 2019 |
did not like this book. I kept reading. the end it got better but I felt like there was so much going on I couldn't keep it straight. no character development. so choppy and jumpy it was hard to read. I will probably continue to read the series a bit just so that I can see if it gets better
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
Isn't anyone me married anymore? I realized when I reached chapter seven that the only married couple to be found in Private were the primary murder victim and her husband.

Private is about a private investigation company, run by one twin son of the original owner (the other twin keeps popping up, just to be annoying). This book weaves several stories together, but the main three involve two young men who decide that their video game would be more interesting if they played out killing people in real life, a pro-football points-fixing scheme, and the murder of the main-character's best friend's wife. Got all that?

You would think that it would take a while to untangle all of these (and more) interweaving stories, and it does. In fact, it takes 124 chapters. Thankfully, most chapters were only two or three pages, but man-oh-man was I ready for this thing to end. Instead of just getting into the story and pursuing it, there are endless plot changes and relationship complexities.

Patterson has apparently written many books, and sold millions, but I won't be reading any more of them. ( )
  BrannonSG | Jan 24, 2018 |
It was free. I had some time to fill. It was interesting but I'm still anti-James Patterson since he went fast food. Won't be hunting down the sequel any time soon. ( )
  she_climber | Sep 27, 2017 |
A fair version of the James Patterson factory style written by Maxine Paetro, short chapters (over 100 of them), abrupt chapter endings driving you to read on, sparse text per page (average 175 words), not much character development, several action driven plotlines (a friend murder, NFL corruption, serial killers a la American Psycho) combined with thin human drama (war amnesia, daddy issues, twin brother rivalry, relationship commitment issues). ( )
  alanteder | Sep 10, 2017 |

Patterson, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paetro, Maxinemain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Suzie and John, Brendan and Jack
To the best of my understandably shaky recollection, the first time I died it went something like this.

The police can't help you

Former CIA agent Jack Morgan runs Private, a renowned investigation company with branches around the globe. It is where you go when you need maximum force and maximum discretion. The secrets of the most influential men and women on the planet come to Jack daily--and his staff of investigators uses the world's most advanced forensic tools to make and break their cases.

The press will destroy you

Jack is already deep into the investigation of a multi-million dollar NFL gambling scandal and the unsolved slayings of 18 schoolgirls when he learns of a horrific murder close to home: his best friend's wife, Jack's former lover, has been killed. It nearly pushes him over the edge. Instead, Jack pushes back and devotes all of Private's resources to tracking down her killer.

Only one place to turn: Private

But Jack doesn't have to play by the rules. As he closes in on the killer and chooses between revenge and justice, Morgan has to navigate a workplace love affair that threatens to blow the roof off his plans. With a plot that moves at death-defying speeds, Private is James Patterson sleekest, most exciting thriller ever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:16 -0400)

Former CIA agent Jack Morgan runs Private, a renowned investigation company with branches around the globe. He already deep into the investigation of a multi-million dollar NFL gambling scandal and the unsolved slayings of 18 schoolgirls when he learns of a horrific murder close to home: his best friend's wife, Jack's former lover, has been killed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,326,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible