Dusklands by J.M. Coetzee

Dusklands (original 1974; edition 1985)

by J.M. Coetzee

Authors:J.M. Coetzee
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1985), Paperback
Tags:fiction, novel, south-african

Dusklands by J. M. Coetzee (1974)

Coetzee’s first novel Dusklands is a fairly short piece of work divided into two halves: an American military psychologist’s report on propaganda techniques being used in the then-ongoing Vietnam War, and a manuscript detailing a journey undertaken by fictional South African pioneer “Jacobus Coetzee” which descends into violence and blood-letting.

Like Coetzee’s future works, Dusklands is grim and depressing; an examination of dominion, colonialism and exploitation. Jacobus’ story is the more overtly oppressive of the two, and I actually think the book would have worked better if the narrative halves were switched; beginning with the violence of 18th century colonial South Africa, followed by the more subtle brutality of psychological warfare by foreign occupiers in Vietnam.

Coetzee’s writing, as always, is beautifully clear. His powerful, distinctive voice is evident even in this early novel. Dusklands contains some wonderful scenes – I particularly liked a description of Jacobus’ hunting party as described by the trail of litter, bullets and bodily fluids they left in their wake – and also some horrible, disturbing scenes. (Oddly enough, for all the violence in the book, nothing made me squirm more than a description of Jacobus attempting to pierce a pus-filled sore on his buttocks.) Dusklands is a strong first novel, and stands up well against the masterpieces that would follow it. ( )
  edgeworth | Sep 4, 2014 |
This is a book consisting of two novellas; the first works of Nobel Prize winner J. M. Coetzee. Not the best introduction into his works… or so I’m told. But it was still a satisfying read.

The first story in the book is entitled ‘The Vietnam Project’ and is about Eugene Dawn, a writer researching the effectiveness of the United States propaganda warfare in Vietnam. It’s written in journal format and his report to his superior (Mr Coetzee) is also included. What starts off as a somewhat dry dissertation on propaganda and a schizophrenic’s insights into Vietnam culture, jumps abruptly into a twisted delusional direction… work can do that to some people… I know.

I thought the opening and closing lines were brilliant:

“My name is Eugene Dawn. I cannot help that. Here goes.”
“I have high hopes of finding whose fault I am.”

The second part of the book is called ‘The Narrative of Jacobus Coetzee’. This work possessed a more straightforward narrative but, I felt, more brutally explored the nature of colonization and the power of prejudice.

Both works were a journey into power, or lack of power depending on which side of the line you were on... or color of skin. Not a great read, but definitely worth the time. I’ll be looking up more of Coetzee’s work.
  Banoo | Apr 1, 2008 |

In these two novellas he distils the absurdity and horror of scientific evangelism and heroic exploration united in a terrible marriage of destruction. By the author of "Life and Times of Michael K" winner of the Booker Prize.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

This work contains two novellas. In the first, a specialist in psychological warfare is driven to murderous action by the stresses of a macabre project to win the Vietnam War, and in the second, a megalomaniac Boer frontiersman wreaks hideous vengeance on a Hottentot tribe.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible