Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively

Moon Tiger (1987)

by Penelope Lively

Recently added byrena75, Glacierhills1200

English (61)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (64)

I thought this was a tremendously good book - the story of Claudia Hampton's life, her lovers, her family, her travels through the world of the twentieth century; there are many memorable scenes, particularly from the wartime section set in Egypt. The narrative style combines first-person, a bit of onmniscience, and tight-third, the last of these sometimes from other perspectives than Claudia's (occasionally recapitulating the same scene from a different point of view), creating the sense of a life story that consists of many pieces that can be observed from different perspectives and in different ways as they are assembled to make a whole. It really grabbed me. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 23, 2018 |
I absolutely loved this book. Claudia is at the end of her life and decides to "write" a history of the world in her head while lying in the hospital. She muses on her life and her relationships. Among these are a brief love affair during WWII, an intimate relationship with her brother, and a tense relationship with her daughter. There are lots of insights into living along the way. I found the whole thing very well done.

Highly recommended. ( )
  japaul22 | Aug 11, 2018 |
Hailed as a forgotten classic, I hope this Booker winner finds more new readers like me. A woozy story about love and ageing, I’d recommend this to anyone and look forward to making my way though more of Lively’s work. ( )
  alexrichman | Jul 18, 2018 |
Claudia Hampton's life is drawing to a close, drifting softly away to smoke and ash like a burning mosquito repellent coil, the Moon Tiger of the title...the symbol of a brief intense period of her life when love was the glowing eye at its center. As Claudia slips in and out of consciousness her mind is occupied with "writing" her autobiography. Her memories and musings of past affairs and other attachments are interspersed with vignettes from the point of view of some of the players in her story. Claudia was a war correspondent; a writer of popular history; an independent, not entirely likeable person whether seen from her own perspective or that of family, lovers or friends. And yet, her life makes quite compelling reading. At the end, we regret her failed relationships, the loss of her one great passion, and the falling of that last bit of ash only slightly less than she does herself. ( )
1 vote laytonwoman3rd | Jun 6, 2018 |
I got about a quarter of the way into it and just didn't want to continue. The disjointed story telling wasn't too bad but the narrator/main character was just irritating me to no end. The to read list is long, I'm moving on.
1 vote amyem58 | May 12, 2018 |

Lively, Penelopeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thwaite, AnthonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I'm writing a history of the world", she says.

The elderly Claudia Hampton, a best-selling author of popular history; lies alone in a London hospital bed. Memories of her life still glow in her fading consciousness, but she imagines writing a history of the world. Instead, Moon Tiger is her own history, the life of a strong, independent woman, with its often contentious relations with family and friends. At its center — forever frozen in time, the still point of her turning world — is the cruelly truncated affair with Tom, a British tank commander whom Claudia knew as a reporter in Egypt during World War II.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:17 -0400)

Claudia, a best-selling writer, recalls her life of adventure as a newspaper correspondent, novelist, lover, and mother, while the people close to her file past her hospital bed.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141188316, 0141044845

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,182,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible