The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes…

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Neil Gaiman

9,364186485 (4.21)1 / 437
Member:bonzo4ever
Title:The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:DC Comics (1998), Hardcover, 240 pages

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (1991)

English (178)  German (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (186)
The best thing about Sandman is the unusual (super)hero protagonist. The Dream Master is a far cry from your traditional Justice League Let's-Pound-The-Bad-Guy superhero.

Not least of all because he is basically a god and because at least half the story takes place in the Dream-Realm, or some other ethereal place. This sometimes gets weird of course, since, you know, one can dream basically about anything, but on the other hand, for example, Gaiman's and artist Sam Keith's rendition of hell in story number four, A Hope in Hell, is truly a memorable moment.

Another thing about the Sandman is that he is not brimming with self-confidence or conviction about the righteousness of his way. Instead he is often doubting, introspective and sometimes even melancholic. In other words, believable and easy to sympathize with. It's a good thing his sister Death is there to kick his ass into shape.

In the end, this is a pretty enthralling and, especially towards the end, dark and disturbing mix of fantasy (including Biblical undertones), horror, madness, dreams and action. I definitely plan on reading a couple more of these stories. ( )
1 vote matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Neil Gaiman builds a fascinating world. However, as much as I want to like him, I just can't get into his stories. I guess his storytelling ways just aren't a good match with me. Not sure what it is exactly. Too straightforward? Too many teenage thoughts and feelings in adults? (The fact that super heroes are not my cup of tea to say the least is not helping either) ( )
  Firewild | Jan 3, 2019 |
I picked this up with some trepidation. I hadn't read it since the first time, which was decades ago, and, well . . . I'm sure y'all know how that can go. You fondly remember something from years gone by as glorious, but you've grown so much since then. You pick it up and find something completely different from your cherished memory. (I'm looking at you A Little Princess, and as for you Xanth, we're still not speaking.)

In this case, it has been some 25 years. I'm not the same human I was when I picked it up the first time. 20 to 45 is a good long distance.

However, my fears were unwarranted. Preludes & Nocturnes is every bit as wonderful as I remember. I was sucked into the world as strongly as I was the first time. It was every bit as magical, every bit as exciting, every bit as good as I remember. While Neil himself sees this first volume as full of the awkwardness and error of his early career, I still see a compelling universe rooted in familiar myth but twisted around into something altogether more magnificent. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 23, 2018 |
This is my second graphic novel ever to read. These take a different skill to read, which makes me focus on the details. I have to really look to see which character because the artist will draw the characters from different viewpoints, which is hard for me sometimes to "recognize" a character. Graphic novels can also be choppy to me because of the short words and following the pictures. By halfway through, I was "into" and understanding the story. I actually did enjoy and like it. I need to regularly read this genre to keep my skills and make my brain think differently. ( )
  acargile | Oct 8, 2018 |
The Sandman series was quite interesting, but I think I was poisoned by too much glowing, positive reviews. I thought it was interesting and good but not worthy of the praise it's received. ( )
  Ben.Horowitz | Sep 5, 2018 |

Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place of understanding? Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living... for the price of wisdom is above rubies."
-- The Book of Job, chapter 28, verses 12, 13, 18
"D is for lots of things."
-- John Dee, All Fools' Day 1989
For Dave Dickson: oldest friend.
-- Neil Gaiman
To my wife Kathy, my pal Tim, and to everyone in jail.
-- Sam Kieth
To friends and lovers. To Sam, Malcolm, and Neil; may your talents never dim. You made working on this book an indescribable pleasure. To Karen, Tom and Art (without whom this book would not have been possible), thanks for the time and your super-human patience. Special thanks to Beth, Matte, Sigal, the incomparable Barbara Brandt (a.k.a. Victoria), Rachel, Sean F., Shawn S., Mimi, Gigi, Heather, Yann, Brantski, Mai Li, Berni Wrightson (for Cain and Abel) and, as ever, to Cinnamon.
-- Mike Dringenberg
To Little Malcolm.
-- Malcolm Jones III
Wake up, sir. We're here.
But it's funny. I always thought when I became king...
I thought there would be applause.
I though somebody would say something.

Contains issues #1-8: Sleep of the just -- Imperfect hosts -- Dream a little dream of me -- A hope in hell -- Passengers -- 24 hours -- Sound and fury -- The sound of her wings

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446393630, Paperback)

"Wake up, sir. We're here." It's a simple enough opening line--although not many would have guessed back in 1991 that this would lead to one of the most popular and critically acclaimed comics of the second half of the century.

In Preludes and Nocturnes, Neil Gaiman weaves the story of a man interested in capturing the physical manifestation of Death but who instead captures the King of Dreams. By Gaiman's own admission there's a lot in this first collection that is awkward and ungainly--which is not to say there are not frequent moments of greatness here. The chapter "24 Hours" is worth the price of the book alone; it stands as one of the most chilling examples of horror in comics. And let's not underestimate Gaiman's achievement of personifying Death as a perky, overly cheery, cute goth girl! All in all, I greatly prefer the roguish breaking of new ground in this book to the often dull precision of the concluding volumes of the Sandman series. --Jim Pascoe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

A collection of eight comics that introduce the series' lead character, the Sandman, Lord of Dreams.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,642,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible