The 3 A.M. Epiphany: Uncommon Writing Exercises that Transform Your…

by Brian Kiteley

The 3 A.M. Epiphany will encourage writers to push the boundaries of their fiction for exciting results. Rather than featuring standard rules, this guide:* Shares unusual exercises that help writers "think away" from anxieties, allowing creative ideas to emerge* Combines the work of writing with thought processes behind the work, helping writers break out of limited writing processes and molds* Addresses the concerns of fiction writers, whether they are going it alone or enrolled in a workshop, having difficulty getting started or suffering from a blockThe 3 A.M. Epiphany will give writers the exercises they need to make creative breakthroughs.… (more)

Filled with lots of writing prompts that will challenge and stretch the creative mind, Kiteley's book is great for writing groups, critque groups, writers block or rainy days with nothing to do. Pick a prompt and go! ( )
  JCLHeatherM | Jan 27, 2018 |
Possibly unfair to call this "read," as I've only actually attempted two of the exercises thus far - still, these are more than mere writing prompts, as Kiteley explores the reasoning and origin of each exercise in detail. ( )
  augustgarage | Aug 28, 2016 |
The 3 A.M. Epiphany overs more than 200 intriguing writing exercises designed to help you think, write, and revise like never before.
  PendleHillLibrary | Jan 29, 2015 |
I'm slowly working my way through the exercises - and they are challenging. But some very nice material has emerged from them and I'm able to use them to give me new perspectives on work in progress.

I wouldn't recommend this for new writers (a collection of writing prompts is a much better bet and I recommend The Writer's Book of days by Judy Reeves) but for anyone who has material already and wants to improve their craft, or needs shaking out of a rut, this has to be one of the best books on the market.

I would say though, that the print in the book is way too small to be enjoyable. It was for this reason that I bought the Kindle version. ( )
  bibliobibuli | Aug 20, 2013 |
One of the most to the point books of prompts that I have looked at. Doing the work with this book feels a little more like eating my writing veggies than I like, I suspect because they are grounded more in literary fiction than speculative fiction, but if I need something to get me going in a new direction, I look in this book. Opening the book at random is my favorite thing, and although I usually modify the exercises to fit my style, it has yet to let me down. ( )
1 vote ShushilaH | Dec 16, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,600,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible