The Best American Short Stories 2003 by…

The Best American Short Stories 2003

by Walter Mosley (Editor), Katrina Kenison (Series Editor)

Other authors: Dorothy Allison (Contributor), Kevin Brockmeier (Contributor), Dan Chaon (Contributor), Rand Richards Cooper (Contributor), Edwidge Danticat (Contributor)15 more, E.L. Doctorow (Contributor), Anthony Doerr (Contributor), Louise Erdrich (Contributor), Ryan Harty (Contributor), Adam Haslett (Contributor), Nicole Krauss (Contributor), ZZ Packer (Contributor), Dean Paschal (Contributor), Marilene Phipps (Contributor), Sharon Pomerantz (Contributor), Emily Ishem Raboteau (Contributor), Jess Row (Contributor), Mona Simpson (Contributor), Susan Straight (Contributor), Mary Yukari Waters (Contributor)

Series: The Best American Short Stories (2003), Best American (2003)

Long ago, I read one of the books in this series; I don't remember which, but it was one from 90s. I read all of the stories, and resolved not to pick up another in the series of collections--for me, the stories were too repetitive in tone, in theme, in character, in every way. Clearly, they were chosen by the same person, and clearly, that person's tastes had been unobjectively followed in choosing favorite stories for the year, and to such an extent that the collection quickly became boring.

All that said, this book was a wonderful and unexpected surprise.

One of my professors assigned us four stories in this book, so most of us bought and kept the collection. And, since I had it, I kept reading... Having finished all of the stories, I can honestly say that this was a beautifully varied and talented anthology. True, I wasn't in love with all of them, but I don't imagine any one reader Should adore all of the stories in a collection like this. To my mind, it should be varied with innumerable tones, themes, and types of story. And, this collection held everything I could have asked, and included many stories I'll come back to.

My favorites from the collection, and the ones I've marked to re-read, include the following: "Coins" by Mona Simpson, "Kavita Through Glass" by Emily Ishem Raboteau, "Moriya" by Dean Paschal (maybe my favorite of all of them), "Ghost Knife" by Sharon Pomerantz, "Every Tongue Shall Confess" by ZZ Packer, "Future Emergencies" by Nicole Krauss, "Devotion" by Adam Haslett, "The Shell Collector" by Anthony Doerr (maybe my second favorite...), and "Johnny Hamburger" by Rand Richards Cooper.

After my experiences, I can't necessarily recommend any of the collections in this series, but in this case, it absolutely held up to the standards and goals advertised by the series, and is absolutely worth the exploration. I honestly believe that there's something for Every reader in this collection.

Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote whitewavedarling | Feb 15, 2013 |
The latest of this annual series (published since 1915) provides an annual collection of carefully selected recently-published short fiction and nonfiction stories. This year's volume was a great read. (lj) ( )
  eduscapes | Apr 22, 2010 |
I have grown extremely wary of the books in the Best American series (other than their Nonrequired Reading books – which I cannot praise enough). So I entered with trepidation, and was pleasantly surprise. No, this is not a “rush right out and buy it and read it and love it” book, but it contains some good stories that bring satisfaction to the reader when they come to a close. In fact, while I don’t know that there were any home runs, there were also very few strike outs. There were only three or four of the 20 stories where I got done and thought, “Nope. Didn’t work. Don’t waste my time.” With no real standouts, it’s not really worth describing any of the stories. Just suffice to say that, for a change, there was more genre, more plot, and more reason to think the next Best American Short Stories collection might be worth the time. ( )
  figre | Feb 27, 2008 |

Row, JessContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Simpson, MonaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Straight, SusanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waters, Mary YukariContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0618197338, Paperback)

Since its inception in 1915, the Best American series has become the premier annual showcase for the country's finest short fiction and nonfiction. For each volume, a series editor reads pieces from hundreds of periodicals, then selects between fifty and a hundred outstanding works. That selection is pared down to twenty or so very best pieces by a guest editor who is widely recognized as a leading writer in his or her field. This unique system has helped make the Best American series the most respected -- and most popular -- of its kind.
Lending a fresh perspective to a perennial favorite, Walter Mosley has chosen unforgettable short stories by both renowned writers and exciting newcomers. The Best American Short Stories 2003 features poignant tales that explore the nuances of family life and love, birth and death. Here are stories that will, as Mosley writes in his introduction, "live with the reader long after the words have been translated into ideas and dreams. That's because a good short story crosses the borders of our nations and our prejudices and our beliefs."

Dorothy Allison Edwidge Danticat E. L. Doctorow Louise Erdrich Adam Haslett ZZ Packer Mona Simpson Mary Yukari Waters

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:53 -0400)

Selections from the 2003 edition of Best American Short Stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,916,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible