I Am an Emotional Creature: The Secret Life of Girls Around the World (2011)

by Eve Ensler

Playwright Eve Ensler writes fictional monologues and stories inspired by girls around the globe. Moving through a world of topics and emotions, these voices are fierce, alive, tender, complicated, imaginative, and smart. Girls today often find themselves in a struggle between remaining strong and true to themselves and conforming to society's expectations in an attempt to please. They are taught not to be too intense, too passionate, too smart, too caring, too open. They are encouraged to shut down their instincts, their outrage, their desires and their dreams, to be polite, to obey the rules. This book is a celebration of the authentic voice inside every girl and an inspiring call to action for girls everywhere to speak up, follow their dreams, and become the women they were always meant to be.--From publisher description.… (more)

Beautiful, sad, empowering. I can't imagine ever going through what some of the girls and teenagers throughout the world go through, but this book still speaks to me during a particularly emotional time of my life. As with The Vagina Monologues, every woman on earth should read this, and then she should make every man read it too.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
This book is amazing. I'm not usually a huge fan of poetry as many times it's too abstract, but this collection of poetry and essays is so grounded and vivid in capturing the emotions of girls and what they face. I'd highly recommend it for everyone. It's a short read and well worth every page.
There's a poem in here, Refuser, that I loved, and an essay Five cows and a calf that made me ball. ( )
  ariahfine | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another provocative, motivational, eye-opening book of monologues ( )
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
Another provocative, motivational, eye-opening book of monologues ( )
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
A roller-coaster ride of passionate feelings, I Am An Emotional Creature by best-selling author/playwright Eve Ensler, is often sad, occasionally funny, always moving. Ms. Ensler turns the experiences of girls from all social classes into soul-stirring prose. This book should be considered a must for anyone that cares about women’s rights and our world today. Ladies, read I Am An Emotional Creature then share it with your mothers, daughters and girlfriends!
(Recieved complimentary copy for review purposes only.) ( )
  CentralCaliGrrrl | Mar 22, 2011 |
These are sorrowful voices, and the waste is everywhere: waste of beauty, talent, grace. Sometimes their powerful exuberance rises up and you believe they have a shot at happiness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,275,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible