The Concise King by Clayborne Carson

The Concise King

by Clayborne Carson

412,532,980 (5)None
Martin Luther King, Jr. is one of the most recognizable names in American history. His devotion to equality, peace, and civil rights completely changed the way that society operates in the United States. Here, listeners will be inspired by King's most memorable speeches.

I expected to be inspired by listening to this collection of King's speeches, but I wasn't prepared to be so deeply moved. It's not unusual to have heard bits and pieces of the more famous speeches; hearing a speech in its entirety is so powerful as to leave me, well, speechless!

I really enjoyed hearing the Reverend's early speeches and tracing the arc and progression of his mission. I think my favorite is one of his earliest, his sermon on Loving Your Enemies. I like that he urges us to take a hard look at ourselves before judging anyone else, to realize that everyone has some element of goodness within them, and to understand that hating "only intensifies the existance of hate and evil in the universe." He talks about how the downward spiral of hate ultimately leads to destruction for the individual as well as others and coaches us to "rise" to the level of love.

Anything I could say would just sound trite in comparison to King's words. I can only recommend that everyone take the opportunity to listen to these speeches with an open mind and heart. It is truly a rare individual who can both humble and uplift a person. The world and our country lost a great man far before his time, but we are lucky to live in an age when his words could be recorded in his own voice. As a listener, I was inspired, empowered, and uplifted. Listening to this collection of King's speeches is a gift everyone should give to themselves. ( )
  MissMermaid118 | Sep 15, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,772,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible