Sobre los huesos de los muertos by Olga…

Sobre los huesos de los muertos (edition 2016)

by Olga Tokarczuk (Author)

3651946,849 (3.96)32
"Duszejko, an eccentric woman in her sixties, recounts the events surrounding the disappearance of her two dogs. When members of a local hunting club are found murdered, she becomes involved in the investigation. Duszejko is reclusive, preferring the company of animals to people; she's unconventional, believing in the stars, and she is fond of the poetry of William Blake, from whose work the title of the book is taken."--Publisher's description.… (more)
Member:joanra21
Title:Sobre los huesos de los muertos
Authors:Olga Tokarczuk (Author)
Info:Editorial Oceano de Mexico (2016), Edición: 1st, 304 páginas
Collections:Misterio, Literarios (orden alfabético), Your library, Leidos
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Premio Nobel, Narrativa, Novela, Polonia, Asesinatos, Cazadores furtivos, edt11, ecologista, Seudopolicíaca

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk (Author)

Recently added byCitizenjoyce, sallypursell, zisnaf, NECC, jr33rpm, apmahd, private library, davidbcohen, lmgrim

English (11)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (19)
Once I heard Olga Tokarczuk won the 2018 Nobel Prize for Literature and was a winner of the Man Booker International Prize, I was worried I wouldn’t like this book at all, but I’d already bought it. Very often, I find award winners to be dull and tedious reading. I’ve never been so glad to be wrong.

I absolutely loved this murder mystery. I wouldn’t really call it a thriller, it’s a little slow in its pacing for that, but the writing is absolutely gorgeous and spoke to me on a deep level. I felt connected to the main character and to the story. I loved the plot and the ending. I think the less you know going in the better - just open the book and enjoy the ride. But definitely, open the book. ( )
  DGRachel | Dec 3, 2019 |
In an isolated Polish community near the Czech border, Janina is one of the only three people who live there all year round. When one of them, a poacher disliked by Janina, is found dead, it falls to her and the other neighbor to dress him and notify the authorities. When a second man goes missing and a third man is found murdered, Janina notices things that are missed by the authorities, like the animal tracks around the bodies.

This is an odd and wonderful noir, with a main character who is even more interesting than the murders. Janina is given to strong opinions, deeply devoted to astrology and considers animals every bit as conscious and valuable as human beings.

This was a wonderful introduction to Tokarczuk, who has won both the Man Booker Prize and the Nobel Prize. I look forward to reading more by her. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Nov 25, 2019 |
everything possible to be believed is an image of the truth"
At one point in this wonderful novel, the narrator, Janina Duszejko, hears that her good friend is going to quit his job and translate William Blake's work into Polish. She muses,"How wonderful—to translate from one language to another, and by so doing to bring people closer to one another—what a beautiful idea."
I totally agreed. So thank you to Antonia Lloyd-Jones for translating Olga Tokarczuk's newest novel into English.
I think the novels that stay with me are the ones that introduce a character not soon forgotten. Such is the case with the aging, ailing Mrs. Duszejko, who does not like to be called by her first name. She is a recluse in a rural area of Poland who negotiates through the long winter season eating soup, tending to several vacated vacation properties, and enjoying the nature with her two dogs. When her dogs go missing, she suspects the hunters got them. Then when her neighbor shows up one morning, he informs her of the death of a mutual neighbor. They tend to his body and realize he most likely died by choking on a bone from the venison he was eating, a deer that he poached most likely and so in a sense this was the animal's revenge. And this theory of Mrs. Duszejko becomes her obsession as other townspeople die mysteriously. She writes letters to the police and makes a scene in church but of course no one pays attention to the crazy lady who lives alone. They tell her to go back home to her study of astrology and the poetry of Blake, both of which play an integral part in the narrative.
This was a highly enjoyable read with interesting observations throughout. Here are a few of Mrs. Duszejko Insights:

Anger makes the mind clear and incisive, able to see more. It sweeps up the other emotions and takes control of the body. Without a doubt Anger is the source of all wisdom, for Anger has the power to exceed any limits.

With age, many men come down with testosterone autism, the symptoms of which are a gradual decline in social intelligence and capacity for interpersonal communication, as well as a reduced ability to formulate thoughts.

For the best conversations are with yourself. At least there’s no risk of a misunderstanding.

She is like the Polish Olive Kitteridge. Highly recommend this Nobel Prize winning author. ( )
  novelcommentary | Oct 13, 2019 |
3.5 "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy. Drive your cart and drive, over the bones of the dead. The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom." William Blake from the Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

The author just won the Novel Prize, announced I believe, today. This is one weird story, but somehow compelling in its strangeness. A very unusual lead character, Janina, in her sixties lives on the edge of the Czech/Polish border. She is rather a rec!use with only a few friends, but she loves the animals in Forest, and is mourning the loss of her two missing dogs. Her main occupation is the translating the poetry of William Blake. This and a few side jobs keep her occupied. She is also in bad health and occasionally her condition flares up, keeping her down and out. When bodies of those she is aquainted with are found murder, Janina tries to convince the police that they are being murdered by the animals that are being mistreated.

At one point, in this slowly paced story, I thought I would never get out of Poland. I couldn't figure out where this story was going, nor what it meant. Was Janina losing her mind? Or was it everyone else who not seeing what they should? Is this a fairy tale, a mystery or maybe a parable? Janina also is a strong believer in astrology, and it is these sections that I felt slowed down this novel. Not sure they were necessary, at least not as lengthy. It does highlight the man and animal connection, and if one is not a vegetarian this book makes a strong arguement for being one.

Well, I made it out of Poland and though I'm glad to be done, I'm also glad that I read this very different book. It was unique for sure and provided a very interesting reading experience."

ARC from Edelweiss. ( )
1 vote Beamis12 | Oct 10, 2019 |
Olga Tokarczuk originally trained and practised as a psychologist. She's been writing novels since the early 90s, and started to grab the attention of English-speaking readers last year when [Flights] won the Booker International. She's also a well-known thorn in the side of the xenophobic right-wing politicians who claim to speak for Poland these days.

It doesn't take much to guess that William Blake is going to be playing a big part in this novel: apart from the title and the chapter epigraphs, he's also there in the text - the narrator, a semi-retired English teacher, is helping one of her former students to translate Blake into Polish. And the whole moral compass of the narrator's slightly-crazy-but-disturbingly-sane way of describing the world she lives in comes from Blake's disconcerting, prophetic way of calling out the hypocrisies of our everyday life as though they were simple and glaringly obvious things.

But it's also an edgily-uncomfortable parody of the cosy-murder genre. A succession of men meet gruesome deaths in the area around the small hamlet where the narrator lives, and she tries to help the police with her observations and astrological insights. The victims are all prominent members of the local hunting club, and they die in ironic ways that make it look as if the animal kingdom is taking revenge on them for their cruel sport. There's an Ovidian undercurrent here as well, and all sorts of references to folk-tales.

Probably not a book you will want to read if you have venison in your freezer, but very enjoyable - in a slightly disturbing way - for the rest of us. Lots of unexpected little bits of observation. ( )
1 vote thorold | Oct 4, 2019 |

Tokarczuk, OlgaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carlier, MargotTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lloyd-Jones, AntoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murcia, AbelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tønnesen, Hanne LoneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unuk, JanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,116,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible