dismiss

Settled Out of Court (1958)

by Henry Cecil

Lonsdale Walsh is a rich financier who is wrongly imprisoned for murder. From his prison cell Lonsdale hatches an intricate plan to stage his own retrial at a secret location. Find out if Lonsdale can secure an acquittal and relish the further unexpected twists that are to be revealed.

From a more innocent age- filled with 'honest' villians, devious public school master-minds and a great legal plot. It is about a rich business man who is convicted for murder on the basis - he claims - of other people's perjury. There are a few technical legal niceties and quirks that add to the entertainment value. Would make a fine period court drama. I found it in a charity shop with its original binding and got it out as it reminded me of my childhood. We had a number of Henry Cecil books dotted around the house and I bought it for nostalgic reasons. Couldn't exactly recommend it but there are worse things to read if you find yourself in the guest bed-room of an elderly great aunt. ( )
  mumoftheanimals | Aug 19, 2008 |
'Take it easy,' said the warder, who led Lonsdale Walsh down the stairs from the dock in Court 1 of the Old Bailey, 'you can always appeal.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,863,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible