Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1) by Jeff…

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (1)

Meet Dexter Morgan, a polite wolf in sheep's clothing. He's handsome and charming, but something in his past has made him abide by a different set of rules. He's a serial killer whose one golden rule makes him immensely likeable: he only kills bad people. And his job as a blood splatter expert for the Miami police department puts him in the perfect position to identify his victims. But when a series of brutal murders bearing a striking similarity to his own style start turning up, Dexter is caught between being flattered and being frightened -- of himself or some other fiend.… (more)
Member:Harem73
Title:Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)
Authors:Jeff Lindsay
Info:Vintage Books, Paperback, 288 pages

Work Information

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay (2004)

English (250)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (255)
If you've watched the show, don't bother reading the series. At the very least don't bother reading this first book in the series.
As I read I knew exactly where the plot was going, and this is a case where I believe the show was better then the book. The character played out better in the show, especially the namesake. Dexter and his Dark Passenger really played out best in the show versus being described in the novel.
I will not be continuing to read the series, as I feel like I got enough from watching the show. ( )
1 vote kayfeif | Jul 7, 2022 |
Enjoyed the humor of Dexter and his whole thought process. I will definitely be reading more of this series and maybe venturing into watching the show. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Thoroughly entertaining in a very nasty kind of a way. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
Good and entertaining read but I never felt much connection to any of the characters. Some things definitely deserved more attention to develop the story, like Deb and extra relationship. It also felt like Dexter for a free pass at the end with no explanation of how everything worked out for him and how he and Deb can possibly go on existing together after what they went through ( )
  Crystal199 | Jan 26, 2022 |
I joined the Dexter bandwagon a little late in the game. I managed to watch the first four seasons during winter break in 2009. I dragged my mother along for the ride, as well. Isn't that what Dexter is about? Family values?

And while I knew that the show was based off characters created by Jeff Lindsay, I strayed from reading the novels due to bad reviews I read on Amazon. Of course, reviews are always misleading - especially those on Amazon where several people base their reviews on the covers, titles and miscellaneous details without actually opening the novel. Still, I managed to bide my time just knowing that the first novel alone was adapted into a season, while the following seasons were independent from Lindsay's prose.

Much like the series, the novel opens up as Dexter hunts for a kill - in this case, Father Donovan. (I remember the series starting similarly, but I cannot remember the priest/child murder's name. The dialogue, which was the source of the bad reviews, seemed a little pointless - "'No,' he said. 'Yes,' I said. 'Oh, no,' he said. 'Oh, yes,' I said. He screamed, NOOOO!'" It felt like something one would find in a first year Creative Writing course. Something a professor might have pointed out to the class in a heartbeat.

And while our beloved characters are present, they take on other roles. Angel, rather than being a detective, is a lab geek like Dexter and Vince Masuka and rarely has any spoken words. Vince Masuka, while still seemingly creepy as hell, wasn't conceived with the same humor; there is even a case where Dexter describes him as a fake. LaGuerta is a petty detective, crushing on Dexter and rather venomous. It's her, not Doakes - who was the only character to carried his personality into the TV world - that uncovers that Dexter is hiding something, though her friend is very much in the know.

It felt as if Lindsay was plot-motivated rather than character motivated. While Dexter can't know it all - the novel is written in first person - it seemed that several of the supporting characters were a little too hollow. The writing was also fast paced, never really leaving you at the edge of your seat, though I might be biased because I watched the first season before I ever picked up the book.

The novel, however, isn't without its value. It's still worth reading, especially if you're a fan of the show. ( )
1 vote ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
For the last word on serial killers, leave it to the witty narrator of Jeff Lindsay's ghoulish first novel, DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER (Doubleday, $22.95). Articulate, well-mannered and charming in a way that makes women want to iron the loud bowling shirts he wears, Dexter Morgan is a contented man because he loves his work -- not his day job as a blood-spatter-pattern analyst for the Miami Police Department, but his moonlight career as a vigilante serial killer.

Dexter Morgan, the strenuously affable narrator of Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter, may be the first serial killer who unabashedly solicits our love. A psychopath so cuddly and upstanding that he only murders ''bad people,'' Dex introduces himself one moonlit night as he gleefully snuffs the life of a child-killing priest. ''A few more neatly wrapped bags of garbage and my one small corner of the world is a neater, happier place,'' he announces. ''I enjoy my work. Sorry if that bothers you. Oh, very sorry, really. But there it is.''

Jeff Lindsayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windsor, Michael J.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hilary
who is everything to me
Moon.
Except in my sleep, of course—and did that really count? Weren't we all crazy in our sleep? What was sleep, after all, but the process by which we dumped our insanity into a dark subconscious pit and came out on the other side ready to eat cereal instead of the neighbor's children?
Again I saw in her face the thing I had seen when she first got out of her car—the look of a predator weighing her prey, wondering when and where to strike, and how many claws to use. It was horrible—I actually found myself warming to the woman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,586,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible