Pride & Prejudice [2005 film]

by Joe Wright (Director), Deborah Moggach (Screenwriter)

Other authors: Jane Austen (Original Novel), Tim Bevin (Producer), Claudie Blakley (Actor), Brenda Blethyn (Actor), Samantha Bloom (Actor)29 more, Moya Brady (Actor), Liza Chasin (Producer), Claudie Blakely (Actor), Judi Dench (Actor), Eric Fellner (Producer), Rupert Friend (Actor), Sarah Greenwood (Production Design), Debra Hayward (Producer), Roy Holder (Actor), Tom Hollander (Actor), Keira Knightley (Actor), Avi Lerner (Producer), Matthew Macfadyen (Actor), Jena Malone (Actor), Dario Marianelli (Composer), Tamzin Merchant (Actor), Carey Mulligan (Actor), Roman Osin (Director of Photography), Meg Wynn Owen (Actor), Rosamund Pike (Actor), Kelly Reilly (Actor), Talulah Riley (Actor), Rosamund Stephen (Actor), Donald Sutherland (Actor), Pip Torrens (Actor), Paul Tothill (Editor), Peter Wight (Actor), Penelope Wilton (Actor), Simon Woods (Actor)

Mr. Bennet is an English gentleman living in Hartfordshire with his overbearing wife and 5 daughters. There is the beautiful Jane, the clever Elizabeth, the bookish Mary, the immature Kitty and the wild Lydia. Unfortunately, if Mr. Bennet dies their house will be inherited by a distant cousin whom they have never met. The family's future happiness and security is dependent on the daughters making good marriages. Life is uneventful until the arrival in the neighbourhood of the rich gentleman Mr. Bingley, who rents a large house so he can spend the summer in the country. Mr Bingley brings with him his sister and the dashing, rich, but proud Mr. Darcy. Love soon buds for one of the Bennet sisters, while another sister may have jumped to a hasty prejudgment. For the Bennet sisters many trials and tribulations stand between them and their happiness.… (more)

English (8)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (10)
I absolutely love this film. Not only because Keira Knightley perfectly encaptures Elizabeth's skepticism of the rules in her society and society at large with facial expressions, tone, and the ease with which she moves from wit to wrath with timely and always appropriate perfection, but MM carries Mr. Darcy's lack of social grace with weight and brooding and empathetic shyness, and watching his self-awareness grow is exciting and gorgeous. His walk. His voice, his eyes, his yearning - so so epic and heartbreaking. It is not the lengthy deep-dive into the psychology of two very different people, but I feel like it was not necessary as the scenes between these two actors were so well done, and the intensity of their personalities were so at the ready for battle, the words they spoke were far fewer than the BBC version, so every word spoken was important, brilliant and soul-rendering and ALL SO VERY AUSTEN. This is the movie I have watched more than any other (except Jackson's LoTR trilogy LOL) and one that I return to many times throughout the year. Lastly and almost if not probably as important - the music by composer Dario Marinelli is by far one of the greatest accomplishments in movie history. In it's very own right, beside the likes of Howard Shore and James Newton Howard, this soundtrack opens this film and you are already swept away in 18th century England. It is .absolutely brilliant. The fact that I am the BIGGEST fan of Colin Firth will never sway me from saying that beautiful, invested, keen, sharp-witted, brilliant British woman, Keira Knightley IS Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew MacFadyen IS Mr. Darcy. Bravo to Joe Wright. The most sensible, yet phenomenally beautiful, romantic movie ever. ( )
  ArayaK | Feb 17, 2024 |
A well made version of Jane Austen's classic novel, clearly on a more lavish scale than the BBC version, but less true to the book. That's not just because, being shorter, there were inevitable cuts. Worth seeing for comparison, if nothing else.

Full review: https://suesdvdreviews.blogspot.com/2019/02/pride-and-prejudice-starring-keira.h... ( )
  SueinCyprus | Dec 12, 2022 |
A woman meets a snobbish gentleman.

3/4 (Good).

I don't feel like this book is able to translate to the screen, but this version does pretty well with it. ( )
  comfypants | Dec 30, 2020 |
I saw this not long after it came out and was not that impressed. I couldn't warm up to Keira Knightley. Upon re-watching it seeral years later, along with a slew of Jane Austen movies, I liked it a lot better. But I prefer Jennifer Ehle in the BBC version. Still, it's a good story and this is a well-made film with good actors. ( )
  datrappert | Mar 4, 2019 |
I did not enjoy this adaptation. I felt that the screenwriters took too many liberties and departed too much from the original text. Jane Austen's work is a classic, beloved by millions, enjoyed for generations, there is no need to depart from the original text. And that tacked-on, made up ending - just dreadful. Austen would never have written that sappy drivel for Elizabeth and Darcey. ( )
  Bookmomsgl | May 21, 2016 |

Wilton, PenelopeActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woods, SimonActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thibaudet, Jean-YvesMusiciansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, EmmaWritersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Darcy: Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony.

Elizabeth Bennet: I don't understand.

Mr. Darcy: I love you.
Mr. Darcy: You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.
Mr. Bennet: Your mother insists on you marrying Mr. Collins...

Mrs. Bennet: Yes! Or I'll never see her again!

Mr. Bennet: Well, Lizzy, from this day henceforth it seems you must be a stranger to one of your parents...

Mrs. Bennet: Who will maintain you when your father's gone?

Mr. Bennet: Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins... and I will never see you again if you do.
Elizabeth Bennet: Your unfortunate brother once had to put up with my playing for a whole evening.

Georgiana Darcy: But he says you play so well.

Elizabeth Bennet: Then he has perjured himself most profoundly.

Mr. Darcy: No I said, "played quite well."

Elizabeth Bennet: Oh, "quite well" is not "very well." I'm satisfied.
Elizabeth Bennet: And that put paid to it. I wonder who first discovered the power of poetry in driving away love?

Mr. Darcy: I thought that poetry was the food of love.

Elizabeth Bennet: Of a fine stout love, it may. But if it is only a vague inclination I'm convinced one poor sonnet will kill it stone dead

Mr. Darcy: So what do you recommend to encourage affection?

Elizabeth Bennet: Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.
This is the 2005 movie directed by Joe Wright, written for the screen by Deborah Moggach, produced by Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, and Paul Webster, and starring Keira Knightley. Please do not combine with any other movie or miniseries versions, or any book.
ISBN 1423463137 is for the original motion soundtrack for the 2005 film.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,867,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible