Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia…

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay (original 1942; edition 1942)

by Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough, Constantin Alajalov (Illustrator)

4781932,577 (4.04)59
Member:booksaplenty1949
Title:Our Hearts Were Young and Gay
Authors:Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimbrough
Other authors:Constantin Alajalov (Illustrator)
Info:New York: Dodd, Mead, 1942

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay by Cornelia Otis Skinner (1942)

Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. Jerome (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: If you enjoy humorous travel stories, you can't go wrong with either one of these books. Both books include descriptions of visits to the Hampton Court maze.

When I was in middle school, I picked up a paperback copy of this classic travel memoir from a RIF book giveaway. I giggled my way through the shipboard calamities, miscommunications due to language differences in England and France, and various other misadventures. Skinner and Kimbrough provide evidence that the Hampton Court maze was still testing friendships a generation or more after Harris and his cousin spent the good part of an afternoon in it (as told in Three Men in a Boat)! The middle-aged coauthors were able to look back at their young adult selves with good-natured humor. The audio version read by Celeste Lawson added new delight to the experience this time around. A hardcover edition has a permanent spot in my library, and I know I'll revisit this one again. ( )
  cbl_tn | Apr 16, 2018 |
Actress Cornelia Otis Skinner and her friend Emily of Muncie, Indiana embark on a European adventure in the early twentieth century. Before they get out of the St. Lawrence River, the boat suffers a wee shipwreck. The girls' humorous adventures make readers laugh. They cover up a case of measles with the assistance of a doctor so as to avoid quarantine. They encounter bed bugs in some accommodations. The tale shows the life of the upper class at that time and place. While travel changed in intervening years, and this type of humorous memoir lacks the popularity it enjoyed at the time it was written, it still amuses. I listened to the audio book read by Celeste Lawson. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 26, 2018 |
I read this when I was younger than the two young women who tell of their adventures traveling to Europe and enjoyed it enough to keep it all these years, but, I think, not enough to reread it. ( )
  raizel | Oct 27, 2017 |
First published in 1942, Our Hearts Were Young and Gay is the story of two privileged American women in their late teens who have an adventure in Europe just after the end of World War I. Although it’s moderately interesting, I found the two women thoughtless, self-absorbed and rather insufferable. Anyone who would cover up the fact that she has measles to avoid being inconvenienced when departing ship, not worrying one whit about infecting others, is a horrible person. That her parents and traveling companion go along shows the world she came from. Being young and stupid is no excuse. And to call it a “comic chronicle” is a huge exaggeration. It was funny as a crutch. And the writing stunk. ( )
  NewsieQ | Dec 18, 2016 |
Utterly charming. As a child in a small town, when I discovered Skinner, Kimbrough, Thurber, and Robert Benchley, I was thrilled to have a chance to read 'grown-up' books. I didn't understand every reference then, and I still don't. Also, now I see a tiny bit of unconscious racism & classism. But this is still absolutely delightful, capturing a moment in time with such energy & humor that a reader feels as if she's on the trip with the two adventuresses. I do recommend you start with either this or [b:Water, Water, Everywhere|6597177|Water, Water, Everywhere|Emily Kimbrough|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1308288712s/6597177.jpg|6790949] if you've never read any of these old travel memoirs. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Cornelia Otis Skinnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kimbrough, Emilymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Alajalov, ConstantinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lest the reader should be in any doubt, we wish
to state that the incidents in this book are all
true and the characters completely non-fictitious
To our mothers
We had been planning the trip for over a year.

Actress Cornelia Otis Skinner and journalist Emily Kimbrough offer a lighthearted, hilarious memoir of their European tour in the 1920s, when they were fresh out of college. The book spent five weeks at the top of the New York Times best-seller list in 1943 and was made into a motion picture in 1944. [retrieved 4/26/18 from Amazon.com]

Actress Cornelia Otis Skinner and journalist Emily Kimbrough offer a lighthearted, hilarious memoir of their European tour in the 1920s, when they were fresh out of college from Bryn Mawr. Some of the more amusing anecdotes involve a pair of rabbit-skin capes that begin shedding at the most inopportune moments and an episode in which the girls are stranded atop Notre Dame cathedral at midnight. And, of course, there's romance, in the form of handsome young doctor Tom Newhall and college "Lothario" Avery Moore. Published in 1942, the book spent five weeks at the top of the New York Times best-seller list in the winter of 1943 and was made into a motion picture in 1944.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,466,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible