Nausea (1938)

by Jean-Paul Sartre

Nausea is the story of Antoine Roquentin, a French writer who is horrified at his own existence. In impressionistic, diary form he ruthlessly catalogs his every feeling and sensation. His thoughts culminate in a pervasive, overpowering feeling of nausea which "spreads at the bottom of the viscous puddle, at the bottom of our time -- the time of purple suspenders and broken chair seats; it is made of wide, soft instants, spreading at the edge, like an oil stain."Winner of the 1964 Nobel Prize in Literature (though he declined to accept it), Jean-Paul Sartre -- philosopher, critic, novelist, and dramatist -- holds a position of singular eminence in the world of French letters. La Nausee, his first and best novel, is a landmark in Existential fiction and a key work of the twentieth century.… (more)
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (trillkhidr)
    trillkhidr: Perhaps an obvious connection, but one that I nevertheless could not fail to return to again and again throughout my reading of Nausea. Is Antoine a man underground?
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (roby72)
    The Words by Jean-Paul Sartre (John_Vaughan, John_Vaughan)
    The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley (kaityjames)
    kaityjames: Huxley views art as a pale imitation of objects as they ARE; Sartre finds existence disgusting and obscene, and art as a beautiful form above and beyond reality. Definitely compatible if you can dig Sartre's dark, existential language.
    Homo Faber by Max Frisch (thecoroner)
    The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke (roby72)
    The Moviegoer by Walker Percy (erezv)
    The Time of Indifference by Alberto Moravia (JuliaMaria)
    Les Mains Sales de Jean-Paul Sartre by Marc Buffat (John_Vaughan)
    Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (thecoroner)
    The Passion According to G.H. by Clarice Lispector (Mouseear)
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (SamuelW)
    SamuelW: Although The Remains of the Day has none of Nausea's philosophical depth, there are close similarities in theme, plot and technique which make the two books a remarkable pair.
    Dead Certainties : Unwarranted Speculations by Simon Schama (Sea92)
    Sea92: Nausea is more of a philosophical work, but both authors explore chasm between the reality of the past and history as it is written. These are issues that historians must deal with.

English (48)  Italian (5)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  All languages (67)
This is a short book of only about 250 pages and as usual I decided to give it 50-100 pages and see how it went before decided whether to carry on with it or not.

I don't think I would necessarily call it a novel, it's a bit of a mishmash written like a diary. Some entries are quite short and to the point and some are very long and rambling. It basically details the thoughts of a man, Antoine Roquentin, during his time living in Bouville. While he is in Bouville he is carrying out research and trying to write a book about a historical figure. He has few acquaintances but no one that he would count as friend and feels that his life has no value to it. There is an ex-lover who comes back into his life after a long absence, but it is fair to say that she is no longer interested in him. Over the course of the book he veers into near insanity and this is really reflected in the writing.

I found the book very slow going, especially towards the conclusion where Roquentin is getting closer to losing his mind. For this reason it is a book that you really need to spend time with a go over everything in your head. There were some parts of the book which really jumped out and stuck in my head but as a general book to read, it's a lot of work. For this reason I thought that it was ok but honestly, no more than that. ( )
  Brian. | Jul 25, 2021 |
A book I acquired and grimly took out to read ("I'll do a few pages a day..if I can manage it") ..and read the whole thing in three days. And it's BRILLIANT, though I can't pretend I "got" all of it...and even as you finish it, you realise you could reread it and study it for years....
But as a bog standard, lowbrow reader...this is a pretty accessible work, considering the subject matter. In a diary, our narrator records his daily life. Nothing outstanding- he writes a biography in a library, mooches about, recalls an old love...
But the diary is purely a vehicle to get the reader contemplating existentialism. And here one has to try and slide into another dimension. Though many of Sartre's musings may well be familiar...Theyre the kind of things that occur to us but we never mention them. Theyre too hard to explain...
Ever stared hard at an everyday word and thought it looked ...weird? Looked at a photo of a distant place and thought "I was there once! At a specific time ...I'm not now." You look at a wave crashing...gone...gone where? A particular group of people coming together on the bus...theyll never replicate that pattern again. Photos of long-dead people...so alive...where are they? You do something wrong...if I could go back and re-live it, do it different....Time travel, death, the ephemerality of life...

Sartre does crank it up to visions of a Salvador Dali type of world by the end, and he'd pretty much lost me by then. I kept thinking one could make the jump from existentialism to religion, though I don't think that's what the author was aiming for.

I'm glad I read it. I shall keep it, along with two other challenging, must-try-it-again-one-day books (Kafka and "Linguistics: A Hallidayan Approach ") and MAYBE have another crack at it sometime. ( )
  starbox | Mar 12, 2021 |
a godless french historian has a quarter life crisis. he takes walks and hangs about in cafes. later he goes to paris.
  CLARPUS | Feb 25, 2021 |
Oddly enough, I never finished Nausea. I just got sick of it.
  octoberdad | Dec 16, 2020 |
I can't remember this. I must read it again. ( )
  billycongo | Jul 22, 2020 |
Sartre's name, I understand, is associated with a fashionable brand of cafe philosophy and since for every so-called "existentialist" one finds quite a few "suctorialists" (if I may coin a polite term), this made-in- England translation of Sartre's first novel, "La Nausée" (published in Paris in 1938) should enjoy some success. It is hard to imagine except in a farce) a dentist persistently pulling out the wrong tooth. Publishers and translators, however, seem to get away with something of that sort. Lack of space limits me to only these examples of Mr. Alexander's blunders.

Sartre, Jean-PaulAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cosman, CarolTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fonzi, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mañas, José ÁngelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mannerkorpi, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'He is a fellow without any collective significance, barely an individual.'
L. F. Céline, The Church
TO THE BEAVER
These notebooks were found among the papers of Antoine Roquentin. ("Editors' Note")
The best thing would be to write down events from day to day.
"I live in the past. I take everything that has happened to me and arrange it. From a distance like that, it doesn't do any harm, you'd almost let yourself be caught in it. Our whole story is fairly beautiful. I give it a few prods and it makes a whole string of perfect moments. Then I close my eyes and try to imagine that I'm still living inside it."

Dopo aver viaggiato a lungo, Antoine Roquentin si stabilisce a Bouville, in uno squallido albergo vicino alla stazione, per scrivere una tesi di dottorato in storia. La sera, si siede al tavolo di un bistrot ad ascoltare un disco, sempre lo stesso: Some of These Days. La sua vita ormai non ha piú senso: il passato è abitato da Anny, mentre il presente è sempre piú sommerso da una sensazione dolce e orribile, insinuante, che ha nome Nausea. Un romanzo trasgressivo e ricchissimo, sempre attuale, che ci restituisce il disagio del mondo in agonia alla vigilia della Seconda guerra mondiale. Il libro piú libero di Sartre, il piú disinteressato e il piú appassionato insieme.
(piopas)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118549X, 0141194847

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,322,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible