In This Skin by Simon Clark

In This Skin

by Simon Clark

"Two teenage runaways, Robyn and Noel, are desperate for a place of safety. Fate takes them to the Luxor which has been sealed from the outside world for decades. They discover that people are drawn here against their will and that certain individuals sense there is a pathway on the old dance floor leading to a fabulous world beyond this one." "Only the path isn't just one way. Monstrous beings are stepping into this world too, with murderous intent. And they seek something that they value more than life itself." "As Robyn and Noel's lives become entangled with those drawn to the haunted Luxor, the building - and what lies inside - will test them to the limits of their endurance and their sanity."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

While this isn't quite as good as his amazing Stranger, In This Skin kept me glued to the couch, lounging around and being lazy all day as I read. (Like that's anything new but hey, saying this book is good gives me a believable excuse)

The plot is complex, unsettling, covered with a mysterious, dreamy-like atmosphere. Wiggling around in this foggy soup are characters that stand out, with credible motives for their actions, realistic goals, and I cared about each. The 'creatures' were shivery and unique.

As for the pace, In This Skin started out with swift, hard kicks, never letting up, ending with a final bang that could be

felt through the entire length of my spine. Clarks writing style is not weighed down by unneeded 'pretty phrases' - instead he's focus, determined, and powerful.

The only real flaw I can see is that sometimes the characters are a bit dumb, but hey, not much is perfect. This one tantalized my mind and kept my blood roaring through my ears - what more could a horror reader ask for? ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
IN THIS SKIN is a perfectly good book that does a nice job of getting the story and chills across. Unfortunately the story didn't quite gel with me. It felt off; I was not pulled into the characters or story enough to really become invested in the book.

The Luxor Dance Hall stands outside of Chicago, in a mostly abandoned area. The building is rundown and deserted, a far cry from its heyday as a dance club for alternative bands. However, the building is not that deserted as people are still pulled there to experience something. And not everyone leaves. Benedict West has tracked his ex-girlfriend to the building but it turns out that she never left it. Ellery Hann and a pregnant Robyn Vincent decide to live there when their home life becomes too hard. Together the three of them face forces and mystical creatures while discovering the truth.

As I mentioned previously though, the story didn't quite gel. It wasn't one thing in particular because I know that I've read crazier stories. It's just that things did not feel right. Maybe it was because Clark had set the story in America instead of his native England; kind of like he was setting it in Chicago but all he knew about Chicago was what he read online. Note that I have no idea if Clark has ever visited the Chicago area or not; I'm just trying to explain how the story felt off. VAMPYRRHIC had mood! Despite some chilly moments, IN THIS SKIN did not. The book is entertaining and enjoyable. It is not Clark's best though and not something that I would recommend as a starting point for him. ( )
  dagon12 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Nearly a century old, the Luxor Dance Hall, located in a suburb outside Chicago, has proven a Mecca for young people for several generations. Some visited to see the latest Vaudeville attraction, others danced to swing music played by the premier big bands, still others attended performances by the likes of the Talking Heads and the Ramones. Now dilapidated, it still holds an attraction for some. One such individual, Benedict West, returns again and again to seek clues to the mysterious disappearance of his lover, Mariah, who, like countless others, were last seen at the Luxor. Others, like the bullied Ellery Hann and the pregnant Robyn Vincent, are instinctively drawn there. When the trio comes together to delve more deeply into the secrets of the old dance hall, they find themselves pitted against unearthly forces they can barely comprehend.
  tanthonyam | Mar 27, 2007 |

Simon Clarkprimary authorall editionscalculated
York, JudyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Luxor Dance Hall has seen a lot over the past hundred years. From Vaudeville, through the big bands and up to the hottest rock acts, the Luxor had them all. It's closed now, a boarded-up relic, standing alone in a run down industrial part of town. But the old dance hall isn't empty. A hideous presence lives there, a monstrous evil that has the ability to invade people's fantasies and nightmares . . . and bring them to life. Three strangers will soon learn the extent of the dance hall's power. As their lives become more and more entangled in its inescapable web, they will come to see that what haunts the Luxor is far worse than any ghost.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,679,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible