The Poet in Exile by Ray Manzarek

The Poet in Exile

by Ray Manzarek

Is the lead singer of America's most notorious rock and roll band really buried in Paris? Years after the Poet's apparent death, his longtime musical collaborator and friend Roy receives the first of several mysterious postcards bearing cryptic verse, signed only "J." Trusting his instinct that this is not a hoax, Roy traces the cards to their apparent source--a remote island in the Indian Ocean. There, to his amazement, he is re-united with the man once known as "the snake man," and hears the remarkable story of his faked death--and the rebirth it made possible. A happily married man, the father of two children, he has discovered the secret to life and is finally free of the demons that had driven him headlong through the American night. Now an enticing question arises: Would destiny smile upon the re-launch of one of the most influential rock and roll bands in history? "... a narrative that ends with a moment of authentic surprise and heart-tugging poignancy."--Los Angeles Times… (more)

Yes, it is nice to image Jim Morrison alive and living in the Seychelles islands with a beautiful angel of a wife and two beautiful perfectly behaved kids, and finally being at peace with himself and life. But after the first two chapters, the rest of the book was really superfluous. As Ray (Roy in the novel) flies to Seychelles, he remembers and recounts some of his past experiences with Jim (Jordon in the novel). That is nice, but if I wanted to read about that, then I would just read Manzarek’s book Light My Fire. Then most of the remainder of the novel (the bulk of it) is Jim (Jordon) explaining to Ray (Roy) how he reached his peacefulness. This is really just a lengthy explanation of Buddhism, meditation, and yoga. If I wanted to read about that, then I would have gotten a non-fiction book about it. So I just really don’t get the reason for this novel. The person that owned this book before me had written on the last page of the second chapter: “Should it end here?” I can answer that. Yes. That would have made a sweet little short story. ( )
8 vote Quixada | Nov 19, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,797,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible