Coraline by Henry Selick

Coraline (edition 2015)

by Henry Selick (Director)

A young girl walks through a secret door that she has found in her new home and discovers an alternate version of her life. On the surface, this parallel reality is eerily similar to her real life, but much better. When her adventure turns dangerous, and her counterfeit parents, including the Other Mother, try to keep her forever, Coraline must count on her resourcefulness, determination, and bravery to get back home - and save her family.… (more)
Member:Bethaokeefe
Title:Coraline
Authors:Henry Selick (Director)
Info:Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (2015), Edition: 2D - New Artwork

Coraline [2009 animated film] by Henry Selick (Director)

English (5)  Russian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (7)
A girl is tempted to stay in a magical “other” world.

Pixar quality, and the kind of tone and story (creepy horror traditional fairytale) they would never do.

Concept: A
Music: B

Enjoyment: A

GPA: 3.6/4 ( )
  comfypants | Feb 3, 2016 |
So I broke my rule and watched the film before I read the book. (I am going to read the book soon. I promise.) But again, I was struggling to find a children's movie I felt like watching because I am not a huge fan of many children's films or animated films. BUT, I really like Neil Gaiman and Tim Burton-esque animation so I decided to watch Coraline. I really enjoyed this film, although it is a little creepy and probably not good for easily frightened children. Coraline is such a great character and the motion stop animation is really perfect for the story. Also the music. Bruno Coulais is absolutely fabulous and his eery soundtrack really makes this creepy children's film. ( )
  LoisHaight | Mar 17, 2014 |
“Coraline” is the 2009 stop-motion animation adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s 2004 book of the same name. The main character, Coraline, is unhappy with her life and so is mesmerized when she finds an alternate world, run by her “other mother”, where she has everything she wants. By the time she learns of Other Mother’s dark intentions, it’s too late and she and her parents are trapped unless she can cleverly find a way out.

Although the story is extremely creative, the movie itself is slow and comes across as dark and creepy. The dark tone of the movie makes it more appropriate for an upper middle school or high school audience, but the story itself will appeal to a slightly younger audience which simply leaves an oddly mismatched movie with no “perfect” audience. Grades 7 – 10. ( )
  VandyGirl | Dec 11, 2010 |
Coraline's parents never listen, but she is lucky enough to find a door that lead to another world with an "other mother" and "other father" who give her everything she could possibly want. . . but there's a catch!
The painstaking detail of this movie is truly staggering. everything is perfect down to the tiny stitches in Coraline's sweater. The stop-motion is seamless, so it's easy to believe you're watching real actors.
The movie is wonderful. It's dark, and would probably scare the bejesus out of small children, but older ones will appreciate the story. Gaiman has always been well known for mixing the fantastic with the mundane, and this is a perfect example. This is a great addition to any collection, especially as it can be used as a gateway back to books. A child who loves this movie will appreciate the graphic novel as well. ( )
2 vote emithomp | Sep 27, 2009 |

Hodgman, JohnActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mcshane, IanActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saunders, JenniferActresssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Has as a reference guide/companion

The movie Coraline was directed by Henry Selick, NOT Tim Burton.

This is a movie, please do not combine with any books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,590,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible