Small Change by Sheila Roberts

Small Change (edition 2010)

by Sheila Roberts (Author)

Rachel, Jessica and Tiffany have major money problems. Tiffany has a mountain of credit card debt about to come crashing down on her. Jessica's husband lost his job, thrusting this longtime stay-at-home mom out into the workforce. And Rachel's divorce has transformed her from an upper-middle-class mom to a strapped-for-cash divorcee. Together, they start a financial support group called The Small Change Club, challenging each other to bring balance back to their checkbooks, and their lives. They are about to learn some very important lessons: that small changes can make a big difference, and that some things in life, like good friends, are truly priceless.… (more)
Member:JoannaHens
Title:Small Change
Authors:Sheila Roberts (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2010), Edition: UNABRIDGED VERSION, 352 pages

Work Information

Small Change by Sheila Roberts

Sheila Roberts is my favorite author. She writes about more than one female character in each of her stories. the characters seem so real and the topics pertain to the 21st century. Easy to relate too. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
I liked this book and have never read this writer before. Although it was fairly predictable the story line was pretty good. Only thing I didn't like was Rachel not doing the wild thing with the Latin guy before she got the engagement ring. A bit too 1960s to me! ( )
  hklibrarian | Aug 2, 2013 |
First, let me say how much I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Life's waters have been a little rough for me lately, and there's nothing quite like the support of family and friends to help keep you bobbing and afloat until you reach a nice tranquil bay. In SMALL CHANGE, Sheila Roberts writes about just that - the strength and encouragement that three women friends provide to each other during difficult times, and how that friendship also helps to strengthen and renew the women's individual family relationships as well.

Our heroines, Rachel, Jessica, and Tiffany, are each experiencing financial problems in a realistic reflection of what has been happening across the U.S. in the last couple of years. It's not hard to relate to any of these women or the tough times they experience and the choices they have to make. Rachel is a single mom struggling to land a permanent job, Jessica is a not-so-empty nester who is forced back into the workplace after years of being a stay-at-home mom, and (the saucily named) Tiffany is a shopaholic whose retail therapy just perpetuates her problems.

Though their problems are serious, Roberts writes with a light touch and plenty of wit. I think I found Jessica to be the most fun character. She has to resort to some clever scheming to get her grown son up on his feet and out of the house. And her decision to audition as a lead singer for an all-girl oldies band is spunky and bold and just made me smile.

At the other end of the spectrum, Tiffany's inability to control her spending and the potential threat to her marriage is a cautionary tale. The term "shopoholic" really rather trivializes Tiffany's affliction. But this is not a heavy book, and I like the way Roberts handled Tiffany's problem. She made it serious enough that it could not be ignored, but not so devastating that recovery wasn't possible.

There's also room in this story for romance, which provides tension of another sort: how will the long-suffering Rachel react when her Prince Charming presents her with an engagement ring AND a pre-nup? I'm not giving anything away, but I loved the way Roberts resolved that issue.

Additionally, Roberts found a terrific way to weave in some basic financial tips and advice -- Rachel creates a blog! Now raise your hands if you can relate to that!

This was the first book by Sheila Roberts that I've read, but it won't be the last. It's an enjoyable and "light" read that also provides plenty of provocative material to mull over and/or discuss. I like the way Roberts focused in on real issues and created believable and empathetic characters. I don't think reading SMALL CHANGE will change your life, but its story and characters will provide a triple threat of humor, hope, and happiness against whatever hard times might be clouding your days. ( )
  MissMermaid118 | Sep 15, 2011 |
Cute and timely story about three best friends facing various issues with the recent downturn in the economy. They meet and support each other in a bookgroup manner, only about frugality, canning, cooking from scratch etc. ( )
  ethel55 | Jun 3, 2010 |
From my blog...
Small Change by Sheila Roberts is a novel which tackles serious issues faced by three families while maintaining an upbeat, often witty and wonderful look into these very realistic situations, families and believable characters. Tiffany is the youngest of the three friends at 25 years and married to Brian, whose job is on the line due to cutbacks. Tiffany works as a manicurist and shops to fill a deep and personal void in her life; she is of her account, a world-class bargain hunter. Rachel is a 40-year old divorcee who is struggling to raise her two children, David and Claire, and she recently found out she would not be teaching full-time in the fall and her ex-husband Brian is not quick to offer financial help. Last but not least is Jessica Sharp, a 44-year old stay at home mom, married to Michael whose bank has been sold and it looks as though he may soon be out of a job. To further complicate things, their youngest son, Mikey has moved back home after losing his job. Jessica is forced to re-enter the workforce after decades of caring for family. Roberts has created a delightful novel, which is not only educational and enlightening, but also exceedingly enjoyable. I do not want to give too much away in my review, so I shall try to keep this brief, although brevity is not my strong suit. Tiffany, Rachel and Jessica are each facing serious financial complications and are doing their best to head them off. Each of the three friends are in different stages of their lives, yet have a common bond. Soon their Friday night crafting session turns into The Small Change Club, where they work together to find ways to cut corners and save money, a do-it-yourself through library books financial class as well as a support group for each other, since each woman spends in different ways and for different reasons. Roberts does an excellent job at creating a cast of delightful women that I personally would enjoy being around and while I identified most with Jessica's character, all three personalities intertwined create an overall picture that I believe most women will be able to relate to on some level. Small Change is not only helpful, but also insightful, a delight to read and filled with the complex dynamics that make up each character's family life to keep the reader fully engaged. I highly recommend Small Change to anyone. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Apr 7, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,512,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible