Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the…

Crazy Like Us: The Globalization of the American Psyche (2009)

by Ethan Watters

Journalist Watters explores the American exportation of how the world goes mad, arguing that as we introduce Americanized ways of treating mental illnesses, we are in fact spreading the diseases.

Fascinating book for book club ( )
  joliek | May 1, 2019 |
This is so readable, convincing and disturbing. I know I'll be recommending it to lots of people. ( )
  kgib | Mar 31, 2013 |
Yes, I'm going to start posting books I've read again! So here goes: This one's totally fascinating. A bit convoluted in a chapter or two, but for the most part fascinating, and made me want to read a bunch of medical anthropology. ( )
  marsJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
  marsJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
The idea is that diagnostic criteria for mental illnesses are neither static nor universal. They change with time and by culture. By applying the DSM globally, the United States is influencing how mental health is viewed and treated in other cultures, as well as interfering with the ways these cultures have developed to deal with mental health issues. The premise was interesting enough, but I just couldn't stay interested. I'm glad I read what I did, though, because this issue is addressed in the novel I'm reading now (What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt). ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 31, 2012 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,804,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible