To Tempt a Saint

by Kate Moore

Fiction. Romance. Historical Fiction. HTML:

No romance lover can resist the novels of Kate Moore...

First in the Sons of Sin trilogy Introducing the three sons of an infamous London courtesan-and the strong-willed women who love them...

Despite being knighted for saving the Prince Regent's life, Sir Alexander Jones will never truly be accepted by the nobility. But if he's to find his long lost brother, Xander must win the first willing heiress he can find.

Only by marrying can Cleo Spencer access her funds. Making a bargain with Xander is her chance to provide for her younger brother. But when her uncle accuses them of fraud, they discover that love is the best part of their bargain.

… (more)

I've heard a lot of great things about Kate Moore. I wasn't really in the mood for a historical, but this one jumped out at me from the TBR so I decided to pick it up. I'm so glad I did. It was a wonderful story.

I really enjoyed both Xander and Cleo. Her determination to get him to bed her cracked me up, as did her pig-sticking knife.

Xander's determination to keep them apart was frustrating at times, but I understood his reasons. My heart did break for both of them at the end.

The POV jumps bothered me. Though I enjoyed Moore's writing style, there were POV changes included simply to move the story forward. The villain is given one chapter, Cleo's brother is given another and Xander's brother the last chapter, as sequel bait.

Otherwise I found this to be a lovely story. Cleo and Xander complimented each other perfectly and I enjoyed watching them get the better of Cleo's evil uncle. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
Cleo fears for the safety of her younger brother and marries Sir Alexander Jones in a hasty wedding. Being wed will protect her from her uncle’s unscrupulous claims on her trust fund. For Xander, marrying an heiress provides the means he needs to search for his missing brother among the dark alleys of London. Together they face danger from unknown enemies and a growing attraction that may seal their bargain forever.

This charming historical romance will hold your attention until its exciting finale. ( )
  NancyJCohen | Jul 23, 2011 |
3 1/2 stars. I prefer books with a lot more heat and I'm never too keen on such a lack of communication between the H/H, but overall this was a good one. Plenty of sexual tension (but honestly, it almost got to be too much - I wanted to shake the hero and say "Oh, come ON! Bed her already!"). I did wish I felt more connected to the characters & their emotions. I did like that this was not just another story about debauched aristocracy -- it had more grit and took readers more deeply into the steamy underbelly of London, so that was a big plus. ( )
  aromagik | Mar 29, 2011 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

"I will that every child be his father's heir after his father's day."
CHARTER TO THE CITY OF LONDON
FROM WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR
For Pamela Ahern,
an agent with a silk suit,
a BlackBerry, a sense of humor, and endless faith in her authors, with thanks.
The fight was not a fight, just a brief, bloody proof that title trumps presumption.
(p. 155-156)
My dear niece,

Do not be alarmed. Deepest concerns move me to use all means to reach you. Know that you and your brother are most welcome to return to your father's house and my protection. Say the word, and I will arrange it.
In the meantime I fear for your reputation and indeed for your health of body and mind. You have evidently been taken in by a most unscrupulous fortune hunter and led by him into an unsanctified union, a dangerous position for a woman of you uncertain frame of mind. No less a witness to you fall than Reverend George Tucker assures me of the falseness of your position.
We must do all we can to free you from this entanglement and restore you to your rightful place in society. As to the harm such an arrangement does your brother's character-to reside in the home of an infamous whore-no other word can describe her-it is incalculable.
A message at any hour of the day or night brings me to your side.
March
(p. 220)
My dear Xander,

Nearly three years now. I tell myself you will find him soon. You must not think my spirits languish. Paris is not so cold as London, and I do not want for companions. Though you do not answer, I think of all my sons each day.
Leave the lamps burning. He will return.

Fiction. Romance. Historical Fiction. HTML:

No romance lover can resist the novels of Kate Moore...

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,687,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible