Ten Grouchy Groundhogs by Kathryn Heling

Ten Grouchy Groundhogs

by Kathryn Heling

In rhyming text, ten groundhog friends eat, play, and work in their crowded den until one by one they surface to see their shadow, in a book introducing both Groundhog Day and the numbers one through ten.

In this book, ten groundhogs are hanging out underground in their den and engaging in various fun activities (dancing, gymnastics, music, etc.). On each spread, one groundhog gets fed up and leaves the den, until only one groundhog is left. He ventures outside also, but what will he find?

This book is appealing in its simple repetition of lines (such as the "let me out, out, out" declared by each departing groundhog), which can be read aloud in a sing-song manner, making it even more engaging for young children. The illustrations are a little more cartoonish than I prefer, but I think these serve to grab children's attention. I read this book with my toddler class and even my most inattentive listener loved this book. In fact, the children asked to hear it again later.

While it's nominally billed as a Groundhog's Day book, there's little reference to the holiday except in a back cover note. That's not necessarily a bad thing though because this book has broader appeal beyond just the one day a year, although it can certainly be introduced on Groundhog's Day itself. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 2, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,781,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible