A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and…

A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of…

by Lewis Trondheim

This looks like a very kid-friendly comic book about jaunty space aliens, but on closer look it's aimed at much older kids. Innocence, cruelty, peer pressure, and bullying are all themes here as assorted aliens cross paths and experience incidents and events that range from tender to horrifying. It's basically wordless (the aliens speak in a language of symbols so readers will benefit by taking their time and being very observant of the illustrations). There's a lot going on here; I had to read it three times. Even then I came away feeling there were still questions that left much to the imagination. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
As a Trondheim fan, I picked this up on a whim at Strand, and read it with my friend in the subway going back home. It is hilarious, disgusting, cute, and sad all at the same time. The creatures are well-imagined. They speak an alien language, which we humans cannot understand. There seem to be universal ideas and feelings that are revealed through some bizarre adventures, some of which involve peer-pressure, lots of poop, and branches. As always, a pleasure to "read." ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
I found this surprisingly disturbing. Maybe not the best book to read before bed? ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
This purports to be an alien comic book, found by chance and reproduced for earthlings to read (singe marks on the page edges and all).

What you get is a series of interlinked stories, populated by creatures halfway between cartoon animals and aliens. There is dialogue, but of course it's in alien - but nevertheless it's generally possible to work out what's going on. Although, I suppose, that assumes that we and the aliens share a similar emotional system: in the story where one creature is trying to help others and keeps causing terrible accidents, we think that he goes off at the end to somewhere that is lonely but he can be sure that he will bring no harm to others. But perhaps that's not what is happening at all.

I think how much you enjoy this book would depend how much you were prepared to go with the idea that it's an insight into an unknown alien civilisation. One of the other LT reviewers said they re-read the book with different assumptions: that it was for children, that it was a subversive underground comic, and so on. I personally was a bit put off by the grosser aspects - horrible bloody injuries, an unstoppable tide of shit. ( )
1 vote wandering_star | Aug 22, 2010 |
A.L.I.E.E.E.N is slight but entertaining, a pattern that should be familiar to those who have already been exposed to the work of Lewis Trondheim. The alien setting and dialogue dislocate the reader, and the oddly disturbing scenarios are certainly thought-provoking. There's nothing particularly deep in these pages, but Trondheim's ability to mashup the cute with the chaotic makes for a fun read. ( )
  dr_zirk | Jun 2, 2010 |

A series of stories without words involving aliens and their inter-related adventures.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,430,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible