Foiled by Jane Yolen

Foiled

by Jane Yolen

I was disappointed in this. Jane Yolen's a great author but this story was a little random for my taste. Also, it's a fantasy story, but the fantasy parts don't actually start until more than halfway through. So up until that point you think that, despite the fantastical creatures on the cover, it's going to be realistic fiction. I hate that in books. The art was okay but not stunning.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the artwork in this graphic novel. In my opinion, First Second Books has the nicest graphic novel illustrations and I’m always impressed by books they release. Aliera is an interesting character and I liked her perspective of the world. Her character did come off a little young and I felt it would have been more realistic to portray her as a middle school student rather than in high school. I did not like Avery very much in Foiled, I found him to be a bit obnoxious, but if you continue the series and read the second book, Curses! Foiled Again you really begin to understand why Avery is the way he is. I didn’t realize the twist this book was going to take, but by the second book I felt the author really embraced the fantasy elements of the book and the overall tone of the book was much more appealing. These books are meant to be a series and this is a case where the books get better as you go. If you are unsure after the first book I recommend reading the second. There will be more adventures to come. ( )
1 vote clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Cute and quick ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
I want to tell you this story.

Aliera is a star at fencing, but at school no one notices her--until her new lab partner Avery begins flirting with her. Aliera's mother just bought her a foil from a garage sale, and it has a strange jewel attached to the hilt. Will Aliera's first date be ruined when magical creatures try to steal her foil?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,665,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible